Are There Computer Programs That Can Replace a Graphing Calculator?

In summary: DougIf you have an Intel processor, you can download an emulator for Maxima that will work on your computer. Maxima will also run on AMD processors. However, Octave is designed for Intel processors, so if you have an AMD processor, you will not be able to use the program.
DougD720
Hello everyone,

sometimes it's easier for me to run calculations on my computer rather than to go find my graphing calculator. Are there programs out there that have all the functions (or more) of my graphing calculator (TI-83+).

Also if anyone knows of any good like bluetooth keypads to link up to my laptop, it doesn't have one.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can download emulators of most TI calculators for free. These emulators behave just like the hand-held calculator, but show up on your computer screen.

http://www.ticalc.org/basics/calculators/ti-89.html#10

You can also download much more powerful software like Maxima or Octave for free.

- Warren

What kind of program are you in Doug? If it's any kind of science or engineering degree, you might as well starting learning a mathematics package now, your going to need it eventually. Octavia is a good one to start with(its free) and its syntax is compatible to matlabs and the more advanced TI calc CAS systems.

If you just need something to do quick and dirty graphs with, there should be an insane number of java applets that will handle most common functions in order to give you a picture and a whole host of free graph programs that can give you more details then the applets.

yeah i thought about the Virtual TI, which is probably the best. I'm not looking into the too complex, I am still in high-school and just need something handy to have about. I'll look into those though. Thanks!

Looks like the virtual TI needs codes from an actual TI calculator though

Does Octave require programing backround to operate

If you run a mac, there is a "grapher" application that comes with it, and it works wonders.

Other than that, just like others have said, for number/solver crunching a Ti emulator will do the trick.

yeah, ill stick to the TI of mine, but i downloaded that Maxima and it's pretty nifty, ha. So I'm playing around with it, though i'll probably never need it anytime soon, ;) thanks!

DougD720, I am with chroot on this one! Using a proper CAS offers you capabilities far, far beyond anything you can do with any graphing calculator.

I myself use Maple, which is partially based upon a precursor of Maxima. Unfortunately, Maple is not cheap--- unless you are a registered college student, in which case you should snap up a copy and start learning to use it immediately.

For more advanced students: those interested in group theory should check out GAP at http://www.gap-system.org/. Those interested in commutative or homological algebra or algebraic geometry should check out http://www.math.uiuc.edu/Macaulay2/ (and also Singular and other CAS for algebraic geometry).

Last edited by a moderator:
The TI roms you need to use with the emulators are available from the same website. They are perfectly legal to use, as long as you own the same model calculator. That said, you'd still be better served by Octave or Maxima.

- Warren

Last edited:
Does either Maxima or Octave require programming knowledge and can you print out from either program?

Also, I installed Octave and I received an error which stated that Octave was built for Intel 98x processors and that other architectures might not operate well with the program. I have an AMD Semprorr 2800+ (I believe) -- will this cause any conflicts?

I am downloading Maxima right now.

Last edited:
Im using the maxima and I'm quite impressed. I know some computer programming so the interface is like cake to me (i've done some actionscript, javascript, html, css, php, basic, and a bit of c++). I like it and I'm very impressed. My suggestion.

What is a computer calculator program?

A computer calculator program is a software application that allows users to perform mathematical calculations on a computer. It can be used for basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more complex functions like trigonometry, logarithms, and statistics.

How do computer calculator programs work?

Computer calculator programs work by using algorithms to process the input data and perform the desired mathematical operation. These algorithms are written in a programming language and the program uses the computer's processor to execute them and generate the output.

What are the benefits of using a computer calculator program?

The main benefit of using a computer calculator program is its speed and accuracy. It can perform calculations much faster and with fewer errors compared to manual calculations. It also allows users to save and reuse calculations, making it more efficient and convenient.

What are some common features of computer calculator programs?

Some common features of computer calculator programs include a user-friendly interface, the ability to perform basic and advanced calculations, support for different number systems (e.g. decimal, binary, hexadecimal), and the option to save and print calculations. Some programs may also have additional features like graphing, unit conversions, and scientific notation.

Are computer calculator programs reliable and secure?

Computer calculator programs are generally considered reliable and secure as long as they are downloaded from a trusted source. However, it is important to keep the program and your computer's operating system up-to-date to ensure any potential security vulnerabilities are addressed. It is also recommended to double-check complex or important calculations to ensure accuracy.