Computer code that handles the periodic table of elements

In summary, the OP asked if there is a computer code that predicts the products of a chemical reaction that handles all the elements in the periodic table, and I don't know the answer.
Adrian Tudini
TL;DR Summary
Computer code that handles all elements of the periodic table
Hi guys

When I ran the Chemical Equilibrium Code from NASA (grc.nasa.gov) to predict the products of a chemical reaction and their concentrations, it says it does not handle certain elements in the database from the periodic table.

Is there a computer code that predicts the products of a chemical reaction that handles all the elements in the periodic table?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What exactly does "handle" mean?

'handles' means the code has different compounds based on the periodic table. As an example, I just found out that the CEA code from NASA does not have boron lithium nitrogen and carbon in the database of the CEA code.

Thanks.

Sorry, but the way the question is worded makes it impossible to give any meaningful answer. It is even difficult to explain why, too many things wrong at once.

If you won't tell us what the code is intended to do, how can we tell if a piece of code does it or not?

This is what I could figure out from the OP question:

NASA likes rockets, and rockets use combustion of fuels and oxidizers; therefore NASA prepared this program that predicts energies of the results of combustion of rocket fuels that undergo a "combustion" chemical reaction. The reason why it is limited to some elements in the periodic table is that only some elements undergo a "combustion" chemical reaction, and these are the ones that NASA cares about to calculate energies for rocket fuel; for example

C2H4O2 + 2 O2 --> 2 CO2 + 2 H2O ... ie combustion of methyl formate

Now, besides "combustion", there are other typical and well understood (I guess, crkcrkcrkcrk) chemical reactions, like synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, etc... For example, this is a single replacement reaction with a metal (iron replaces copper in copper chloride, becoming iron chloride):

Fe + CuCl2 --> FeCl2 + Cu ... ie single replacement of copper with iron

Therefore I understand that the OP's question is that, given that NASA prepared a program to predict and calculate chemical reactions of the first type, if there's another program around that predicts other kinds of reactions with other elements in the periodic table (maybe predicting outcomes instead of energies).

I doubt there will be one that handles all possible kinds of chemical reactions with any element in the table, as I suppose complex compounds may behave in very complex ways. But some cases can be simulated; I worked in one such special-case simulation as a research project in college, many years ago - the goal was to predict ionization and recombination rates of some 6 (I don't recall exactly) common gases in the high atmosphere at high temperature and pressure (that was for estimation of temperature during satellite re-entry). It was a lot, and I mean a lot of quantum mechanic equations, like 200 pages of formulas in Fortran and took 2 years of work. The program ran for a week, and I suspect it gave imprecise results, but was worth publication anyway, to my quiet disbelief.

But, maybe there are some common set of rules that apply common reaction types to simple compounds, and maybe that set of rules have been codified in a program of some kind. At least that's what I can infer - I'm no chemist, btw.

1. What is the purpose of computer code that handles the periodic table of elements?

The purpose of this code is to organize and store information about the chemical elements in a structured and easily accessible manner. It allows for efficient retrieval and manipulation of data related to the elements, such as atomic number, symbol, and properties.

2. How does the code handle elements that have multiple isotopes?

The code uses a combination of the element's atomic number and mass number to distinguish between different isotopes. It also includes information on the abundance of each isotope, which is important in various scientific applications.

3. Can the code be used to predict the properties of unknown elements?

Yes, the code can be used to predict the properties of elements that have not yet been discovered. This is possible through the use of mathematical models and patterns in the periodic table that allow for the estimation of an element's properties based on its position in the table.

4. How often is the code updated to reflect new discoveries or changes in the periodic table?

The code is regularly updated to reflect new discoveries and changes in the periodic table. This can include the addition of newly discovered elements, updates to the properties of existing elements, and changes in the organization of the periodic table.

5. Is the code publicly available for use?

Yes, there are many versions of the code that handle the periodic table of elements available for public use. This allows for widespread access and use of the information contained in the periodic table, promoting scientific research and education.