Computer Grade Power and Double Conversion UPS

In summary, computer grade power in Double Conversion Online UPS is defined as stable AC power with less than 0.5 volts of ground reference level change and less than 10 volts of noise on the AC waveform. The 10 volts refers to switching noise from the inverter process and can be seen on a power analyser. The THD(current) on the Online UPS OUTPUT should be less than 5% for it to be considered computer grade power. To determine if the Online UPS is supplying correct power, one should look for values such as THD (v) and THD (current) on the power analyser for both line and neutral. This is important to avoid damaging delicate devices such as computers and servers. It is recommended to
fauxpas1900
What is computer grade power in Double Conversion Online UPS?

Powercom website says "Computer Grade Power can be defined as AC power that has a stable ground reference with less than 0.5 volts of level change of the ground reference and less than 10 volts of noise on the AC waveform."

What is this 10 volts referring to, in the above definition? How can this be seen on the power analyser?

What would the THD(current) on the Online UPS OUTPUT be, for it to be called computer grade power?

[THD-voltage] should be less than 5% on UPS output, I am aware of this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fauxpas1900 said:
What is computer grade power in Double Conversion Online UPS?

Powercom website says "Computer Grade Power can be defined as AC power that has a stable ground reference with less than 0.5 volts of level change of the ground reference and less than 10 volts of noise on the AC waveform."

What is this 10 volts referring to, in the above definition? How can this be seen on the power analyser?

What would the THD(current) on the Online UPS OUTPUT be, for it to be called computer grade power?

[THD-voltage] should be less than 5% on UPS output, I am aware of this.

Welcome to the PF. The main consideration would generally be switching noise from the inverter process. If you get too much hash and noise on your AC Mains waveform going into some devices (like some PCs, I guess), that can cause problems for the switching power supply in the device. It can also potentially compromise the radiated EMI performance of the device, and definitely could cause issues with any RF transceivers in the device.

Hi Berkeman,

Thanks for the response.

I am not an electrical engineer.

But I am in the process of selecting a 3 KVA online UPS for my office.

I have asked the UPS manufacturers to demonstrate the UPS output power quality at my office premises.

They all will get a power analyser to demonstrate their Online UPS.

My question is...

What readings to look for? What VALUES to look for, on the Power Analyser.

THD (v)? THD (current)? For line, neutral both?

How to determine whether the Online UPS is supplying correct power that will not hurt the delicate devices at my office?

fauxpas1900 said:

How to determine whether the Online UPS is supplying correct power that will not hurt the delicate devices at my office?
THD is Total Harmonic Distortion and is measured in percent (%). Here is a wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_harmonic_distortion"

Last edited by a moderator:
fauxpas1900 said:
Hi Berkeman,

Thanks for the response.

I am not an electrical engineer.

But I am in the process of selecting a 3 KVA online UPS for my office.

I have asked the UPS manufacturers to demonstrate the UPS output power quality at my office premises.

They all will get a power analyser to demonstrate their Online UPS.

My question is...

I'm no expert in power quality, especially as it pertains to the AC Mains input into computers, servers and such. But as a power supply designer, I definitely care what kind of noise is coming in the power input, since it can mess with the stability of my SMPS control loop. So one thing I would look at is the amplitude and bandwidth of the noise at the UPS AC Mains output port.

BTW, since you have multiple UPS vendors coming at different times, you should be able to ask them these questions, and compare their answers. Ask them what the important things are to check, and what kinds of PC problems you might run into if you used a unit that did not do well on that check.

1. What is a double conversion UPS?

A double conversion UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is a type of power protection system that converts incoming AC power to DC power and then back to AC power. This process isolates the connected equipment from any power disturbances, providing a clean and consistent power supply.

2. How does a double conversion UPS differ from other types of UPS?

Unlike other types of UPS, a double conversion UPS continuously runs off of the battery power, providing a seamless transition from utility power to battery power in the event of a power outage. This also ensures that the connected equipment does not experience any interruptions or fluctuations in power.

3. What is the benefit of using a double conversion UPS for computer grade power?

Computer grade power is critical for sensitive electronic equipment, such as computers, servers, and other IT equipment. A double conversion UPS provides a stable and reliable power supply, protecting these devices from power surges, sags, and other disturbances that can cause damage or data loss.

4. Is a double conversion UPS necessary for all computer systems?

While it is not necessary for all computer systems, a double conversion UPS is highly recommended for critical systems and equipment that cannot afford any downtime or power disturbances. These may include data centers, hospitals, financial institutions, and other organizations that rely on consistent and uninterrupted power supply.

5. How do I choose the right size double conversion UPS for my needs?

When choosing a double conversion UPS, it is important to consider the power requirements of the connected equipment, as well as the expected runtime during a power outage. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size and capacity for your specific needs.