Computer needed for engineering college

In summary, the person is currently finishing up an associates degree and plans on attending an engineering college. They are seeking advice on what kind of laptop to buy, and are considering a Mac or Alienware. The person recommends a mid-range Asus model and notes that some colleges recommend having a Unix-based operating system for computer science programs. However, some CAD programs may not work on Unix, so it is important to check with the college for recommendations and potential discounts.
VanHammer
I'm currently in a one semester away from finishing an associates degree at a community college and am planing to go to an engineering college. I am asking if anyone has an idea of what kinda of laptop i should buy (like specs too). I was thinking Mac or Alienware?

Computer science news on Phys.org
VanHammer said:
I'm currently in a one semester away from finishing an associates degree at a community college and am planing to go to an engineering college. I am asking if anyone has an idea of what kinda of laptop i should buy (like specs too). I was thinking Mac or Alienware?

I really like the MacBook Pro and Air line. Alienware is for gaming. I'd go with a mid range model of Asus.

I don't know what you are planning on studying, but I know some places recommend/require having a Unix-based operating system if you are studying computer science. In that case, you could either get a laptop which you could install some sort of Unix OS on, or you could just get a Mac if you prefer not to install your own OS but want a Unix-based system. On the other hand, I've heard that most CAD programs do not work on Unix, so if you'll be doing mechanical engineering in particular, that is something you may want to consider. Probably your best bet is to do some looking on the college's website to see what they recommend. Often colleges offer discounted hardware to students.

1. What kind of computer do I need for engineering college?

The specific requirements for a computer may vary depending on the engineering program and school. However, in general, it is recommended to have a computer with a powerful processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. It should also have enough storage space for large engineering software and projects.

2. Do I need a Mac or PC for engineering college?

Both Mac and PC can be suitable for engineering college. However, it is important to check with your program or school to see if there are any specific software requirements that may only be available on one platform. Some engineering software may only be compatible with Windows, while others may work on both Mac and PC.

3. Are there any specific software or programs I need?

Again, this may vary depending on your engineering program and school. Some common software used in engineering colleges include CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software, MATLAB, and statistical analysis software. It is best to check with your program or school for a list of recommended software.

4. Can I use a laptop or do I need a desktop computer?

Both laptops and desktops can be suitable for engineering college. Laptops offer the advantage of portability, while desktops may have more powerful processors and graphics cards. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and needs. If you choose to use a laptop, make sure it meets the recommended specifications for your program.

5. How much should I budget for a computer for engineering college?

The cost of a computer for engineering college can vary depending on the brand, specifications, and any additional software or accessories needed. It is recommended to budget at least $1000 for a decent computer that can handle engineering software and projects. However, it is important to also consider any student discounts or deals that may be available.