Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer needed for engineering college

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    I'm currently in a one semester away from finishing an associates degree at a community college and am planing to go to an engineering college. I am asking if anyone has an idea of what kinda of laptop i should buy (like specs too). I was thinking Mac or Alienware?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    I really like the MacBook Pro and Air line. Alienware is for gaming. I'd go with a mid range model of Asus.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    I don't know what you are planning on studying, but I know some places recommend/require having a Unix-based operating system if you are studying computer science. In that case, you could either get a laptop which you could install some sort of Unix OS on, or you could just get a Mac if you prefer not to install your own OS but want a Unix-based system. On the other hand, I've heard that most CAD programs do not work on Unix, so if you'll be doing mechanical engineering in particular, that is something you may want to consider. Probably your best bet is to do some looking on the college's website to see what they recommend. Often colleges offer discounted hardware to students.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook