Concave/convex -- second derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between curvature, second derivatives, and concavity/convexity. The speaker also mentions the concept of concavity being like "holding water" and provides an example with parabolas. The conversation concludes by stating that a positive second derivative corresponds to a concave up function, while a negative second derivative corresponds to a concave down function.
charlies1902
Hello. I have a question regarding curvature and second derivatives. I have always been confused regarding what is concave/convex and what corresponds to negative/positive curvature, negative/positive second derivative.
If we consider the profile shown in the following picture:
https://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicycle_web/pictures/vel_profile.GIF

U(y) is the velocity plotted as a function of (y).
We can see that the second derivative here is <0. DOes this correspond to negative curvature or positive and concave/convex?

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive second derivative corresponds to convex (you can figure this as the tangent being below the graph of the function near the point).
Negative second derivative corresponds to concave (you can figure this as the tangent being abovethe graph of the function near the point).

The function in your picture has a positive second derivate.

The terminology used to be "concave up" (like the graph in the image) versus "concave down." A graph that was concave up over an interval has a positive second derivative on that interval, while one that was concave down over an interval had a second derivative that was negative over that interval.

Samy_A said:
The function in your picture has a positive second derivate.
Derivate is a word, @Samy_A, but I'm sure the one you meant is derivative.

Mark44 said:
The terminology used to be "concave up" (like the graph in the image) versus "concave down." A graph that was concave up over an interval has a positive second derivative on that interval, while one that was concave down over an interval had a second derivative that was negative over that interval.

Derivate is a word, @Samy_A, but I'm sure the one you meant is derivative.
Of course, sorry for the mistake.

Mark44 said:
As a remark from someone who tends to mix left and right, concave up and down and so on, all direction notations that depend on the point of view, it often helps me out to consider the standard parabolas ##± x^2##.

fresh_42 said:
As a remark from someone who tends to mix left and right, concave up and down and so on, all direction notations that depend on the point of view, it often helps me out to consider the standard parabolas ##± x^2##.
Concave up -- "holds water"
Concave down -- "water runs out"

With regard to left/right, after US Army Basic Training, I was very clear on left and right...

Likes fresh_42
Mark44 said:
With regard to left/right, after US Army Basic Training, I was very clear on left and right...
There's an interesting question my algebra professor asked in his very first lecture which might be funny to post it here somewhere, too.
"Why does a mirror change left and right but not up and down?" With respect to, e.g. particle physics, this could be a good exercise when it comes to broken symmetries. (Just a thought.)

Yeah, concavity is the second derivative. If f''(x) > 0, the function is concave up. If f"(x) < 0 the function is concave down.

mathexam said:
Yeah, concavity is the second derivative. If f''(x) > 0, the function is concave up. If f"(x) < 0 the function is concave down.
That's what I said in post #3.

1. What is the definition of a concave function?

A concave function is a type of function in which the second derivative is negative throughout its entire domain. This means that the function is constantly curving downwards, creating a bowl-shaped graph.

2. How is a concave function different from a convex function?

A convex function is the opposite of a concave function, where the second derivative is positive throughout its entire domain. This creates a graph that is constantly curving upwards, forming a hill-shaped curve.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in concave and convex functions?

The second derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the slope of the function. In concave functions, the second derivative is negative, indicating that the slope is decreasing, and in convex functions, the second derivative is positive, indicating that the slope is increasing.

4. How can the second derivative be used to determine the concavity of a function?

The second derivative test can be used to determine the concavity of a function. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave, if it is positive, the function is convex, and if it is zero, the concavity cannot be determined.

5. Can a function be both concave and convex?

No, a function cannot be both concave and convex at the same time. However, a function can have both concave and convex sections, where the concavity or convexity changes at a certain point.