1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrating sunlight to accomplish projection (Art project)

1. Mar 31, 2015 #1
    Hello!

First of all I want to say that I am not a physicist, but an artist currently doing my master thesis.

I have been trying to build a solar powered slide projector. It works very simple – I reflect sunlight through a slide and enlarge it with a lens.

My problem was that I wanted more juice. Stronger light.
    I figured that I could concentrate sunlight somehow. I have tried to make a facett reflector that focus on a pair of condenser lenses… this has not been very successful I'm afraid.

Could it be that my condenser lenses has an EFL that is not the same as my fresnel enlarging lens?

Do you guys have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

I'm super grateful for any help what so ever! :D

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2
    Does it have to be sunlight?

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3
    Yes sir!

That is very important. I have made various portable projectors powered by LEDs. But this I would like to use sunlight.

I think it would be sufficient if I could double the sunlight. Just one sun is not quite enough, at least this time a year.

5. Mar 31, 2015 #4

Mk

Solutions:
    A: Create a darker room to project your image in.
    B: Bigger light gathering structures.
    C: Go to a brighter place.

Watch this video:

6. Mar 31, 2015 #5
    A: Yes, I need to find optimal settings for this of course. But the room is supposed to be in public space. (Urban area)
    B: Yes, that is what I am trying to accomplish by building a plane mirror facett structure. But I have a problem with diverging rays… I think this might have to do with the lenses I am using, not sure. My aim is to build this myself. Otherwise I could order a parabolic mirror to increase the light. But this does not compute with the overall idea of the project. (stupid artist)
    C: Yes, I might have to do that. The thought has occurred.

Nice video and a super nice project.

If I would get a big fresnel lens like he has in the video and focus it on a plane mirror that redirects the light through my slide and enlarging lens. Would that work?

Can you think of other light gathering structures?

Thanks for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook