Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrating sunlight to creat different extream temperatures

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    I am wondering of a way to concentrate sunlight to an extent to create high temperatures that vary depending on how many mirrors, lenses....etc i use and so on......it is an idea i have for a physics project any suggestions on how i might go about this would be muchly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    In the 1970's I bought a plastic, 12" x 12" x .2" Fresnel lens from Edmund Scientific Company for $6. I would guess that in full sunlight it generated over 1500o F. Paper would catch fire in a couple of seconds; in general, organic material would easily vaporize. It would take out not just an ant, but the whole anthill. I believe I melted lead with it; I have heard said that it could melt a penny. It seemed to ablate concrete. I probably have some eye damage thanks to my youthful nonchalance.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4
    using non-imaging optics to concentrate sunlight

how might i go about using mirrors and a large lens or 2 to concenrate sunlight enough to attain 3500-8500k or the closest i can within limited funds [physics project] and also how i might measure the temp.
  6. Sep 14, 2007 #5
    *tsk tsk* They're called welding goggles my friend...:rolleyes: The biggest lens I have is a 8.5"x11" fresnel page magnifier.:frown: Douglas, your question might be easier to answer if we had a general ballpark on your budget.
  7. Sep 14, 2007 #6

can you expand on that.....if you are saying i need space i live on a farm so i have abundant space. and would concentrating light on a large lens using mirrors increase the concentration of sunlight on the other side of the lens thus increasing the temperature?
  8. Sep 14, 2007 #7
    Assuming the lens could survive the already concentrated energy, I don't see why not.

For the budget thing, how can we keep a limited budget in mind if we have no idea what that budget is? Are we talking tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars here?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  9. Sep 14, 2007 #8
    we are speaking the budget that one would use or a advanced high school physics project[year long] like 100 to150$ im not going to spend allot on a grade.
  10. Sep 14, 2007 #9

Staff: Mentor

11. Sep 14, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This might not sound as much fun as a solar furnace, but you can easily heat up small objects to 1000C in a few minutes, using the light from a a 12V halogen car headlight bulb instead of sunlight.

We had a test rig for doing high temp experiments on objects about 1mm cube that used that method for heating, with a feedback loop and a controller to vary the lamp output once the object had got up to the working temperature.

The bulbs already contain a parabolic reflector, so you don't need any fancy optics to make this work.
  12. Sep 14, 2007 #11

Staff: Mentor

So did you use a 2nd (no bulb) headlight to concentrate the light from the source headlight?
  13. Sep 14, 2007 #12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?