Concentrations of electrons in intrinsic semi-conductor

  • Thread starter Thread starter jendrix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jendrix
Messages
120
Reaction score
4
Hi, I've just started using the formula for the abovie which is given as:

n t^3/2 exp(Eg/2kBT)

however instead of n= I think the sign is n is proportional, like this ∞

I was wondering which would be correct?

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
jendrix said:
Hi, I've just started using the formula for the abovie which is given as:

n t^3/2 exp(Eg/2kBT)

however instead of n= I think the sign is n is proportional, like this ∞

I was wondering which would be correct?

Thanks

Yes it's definitely proportional to, not equals. That is, [itex]n \propto T^{3/2} \exp(Eg/(2k_BT))[/itex].

You can "see" this easily enough by looking at the dimensions (units) of each side of the equation. The term "n" is a density, and therefore [itex]m^{-3}[/itex] (or [itex]cm^{-3}[/itex] etc), whereas the unit on the RHS is T^1.5.

The "T^(3/2)" factor is merely the temperature dependent part of the equation for the "effective density of states referred to the conduction band edge", if you want to google that.
 
Last edited: