Concept and subject of latex and its usage and related questions on latex

In summary: In Safari (Mac OS), from the menu bar: View --> View Source.In summary, LaTeX is a document preparation program that can be installed on a PC and used similarly to MATLAB. It can be used to display math equations on websites, and there are free downloads available for use. HTML files can be viewed in a web browser or a text editor, and LaTeX can be processed through referencing in an HTML file.
mech-eng
latex.png
Hi, I have newly encountered with a subject called LaTeX. I try to learn it. I know it is a document preparation program. Can I install on my PC and start to use it like Matlab? For example where can I use this code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMS-LaTeX

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a pinned thread right at the top...have you read that one?

I am examining that topic now. this concept is so unfamiliar to me and even students around me haven't heard name of it.

Thank you.

Whereas LaTeX is a documentation tool, MATLAB is a very powerful calculation tool.
Can I install on my PC and start to use it like Matlab? For example where can I use this code?
There are free downloads available. There are also web sites that you can reference in an HTML file that will process LaTex code that you put into that html file. I forget how that is done, but if you look at the source of a simple HTML file displaying LaTex, you will see it.

FactChecker said:
Whereas LaTeX is a documentation tool, MATLAB is a very powerful calculation tool.

There are free downloads available. There are also web sites that you can reference in an HTML file that will process LaTex code that you put into that html file. I forget how that is done, but if you look at the source of a simple HTML file displaying LaTex, you will see it.

I am not a very good computer user. Up until now I have never dealt with HTML files, just saved them on my PC. How can I look at a source of a simple HTML file, If it is only for Website design, should I follow a source for HTML? It seems that I need more guidance on Latex and maybe HTML.

Thank you.

If you have a HTML file saved on your disk and you open it with the Windows notepad, you will see it as the source, not as a rendered page.

Borek said:
If you have a HTML file saved on your disk and you open it with the Windows notepad, you will see it as the source, not as a rendered page.

Are HTML files(or what are their general names, because there are MHTML files) dropped into two categories and rendered file is that which we see in web browser such as internet explorer and source file is that which we open in a writing editör such as notepad, ms Word?

Thank you

What you see in the web browser is the image rendered interpreting the source file. I am not aware of other formats (that is, when you save a page from the browser it can do some tricks and save in its own format, but these are not exactly standardized).

mech-eng said:
Are HTML files(or what are their general names, because there are MHTML files) dropped into two categories and rendered file is that which we see in web browser such as internet explorer and source file is that which we open in a writing editör such as notepad, ms Word?

Thank you
Microsoft Word can save files in a number of formats, including
  • Single file Web page (*.mht or *mhtml)
  • Web page (*.htm or *.html)
  • Word XML (*.xml)
  • PDF (*.pdf)
and several others.
Many of these formats, such as the HTML and XML formats, are text that can be viewed in Notepad (as Borek suggested) or other text editors.

This is example LaTeX code in an HTML file. Remove the begin and end verbatim lines. Put this into a file with extension .htm and double click it. Your web browser will read it and sent the LaTex to the link shown for interpretation. Sometimes there is a delay while the website interpretes the LaTeX. That is why you often see the raw LaTeX for a while before it is turned into math equations.

\begin{verbatim}
<html>
<body>

[tex]\Delta \theta = \omega_0 t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^2.[/tex]
[itex]y = a x^2 + bx + c[/itex]

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/2.2-...//www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/mjsettings.js"></script>

</body>
</html>
\end{verbatim}

Here is what it should look like.
[tex]\Delta \theta = \omega_0 t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^2.[/tex]
[itex]y = a x^2 + bx + c[/itex]

Last edited:
mech-eng said:
How can I look at a source of a simple HTML file

As others have noted, if you save a web page from your browser as a .html file, you should be able to open it in a text editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac OS).

Also, I think most or all web browsers have an option to view the source code of the current page. In Firefox (Mac OS), from the menu bar: Tools --> Web Developer --> Page Source.

Often just Ctrl-U.

1. What is latex and how is it used in scientific research?

Latex is a type of natural rubber that is derived from the sap of the rubber tree. It is commonly used in scientific research as a material for laboratory gloves, tubing, and stoppers. It is also used in the production of various medical devices and equipment.

2. What are the benefits of using latex in scientific experiments?

Latex is durable, flexible, and has excellent elasticity, making it an ideal material for use in scientific experiments. It is also resistant to chemicals, bacteria, and fungi, making it safe for use in laboratory settings. Additionally, latex is cost-effective and widely available, making it a popular choice among researchers.

3. Are there any safety concerns related to the use of latex in scientific research?

While latex is generally considered safe for use in scientific research, there are some individuals who may have allergies to latex. This can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, and other allergic reactions. It is important for researchers to be aware of these potential risks and take necessary precautions, such as using non-latex alternatives or wearing protective gear.

4. Can latex be recycled or disposed of safely?

Yes, latex can be recycled and disposed of safely. Latex products can be recycled into new products, such as rubber mats or playground surfaces. It can also be safely incinerated or landfilled, as long as proper precautions are taken to prevent harm to the environment.

5. Are there any alternatives to latex in scientific research?

Yes, there are alternatives to latex that can be used in scientific research. Some common alternatives include nitrile, vinyl, and neoprene, which offer similar properties to latex but without the risk of latex allergies. It is important for researchers to consider these alternatives when necessary to ensure the safety and comfort of all individuals involved in the research.