How to Create Graphs and Figures in LaTex Documents.

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating graphs and figures in LaTeX and the different options for incorporating them into documents. While there are methods available such as pstricks or importing images, it is suggested to use other tools like gnuplot or Matlab for creating graphics and then incorporating them into the LaTeX document for better results. The document in question was likely created with LaTeX, but it is not necessary for the graphics to also be created with LaTeX.
V0ODO0CH1LD
I am learning LaTex and I was wondering if there's a way to create graphs and figures with it. Even if it's not as simple as just typing graph sin(x) somewhere.

I've been reading online about it and I think you actually can't, but then again I see documents like these (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemat...ble-calculus-fall-2006/lecture-notes/lec1.pdf) all the time and I wonder how are the figures integrated with the document. Assuming that document was created with LaTex, otherwise what was it created with?

I know for a fact you can actually import images into documents, but that is too definitive. I want something that I can change later with ease. I am not looking for complex 3D graphs like the ones you would get with MATLAB or mathematica. Just simple figures like the ones in the example above.

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Assuming that document was created with LaTex, otherwise what was it created with?
Just because the document was created with LaTeX (and it almost certainly was; it has that look and feel) does not mean the graphics were created with LaTeX/TeX.

I know for a fact you can actually import images into documents, but that is too definitive. I want something that I can change later with ease.
Graphics is not LaTeX strong suit, even with pstricks. Incorporating graphics developed elsewhere is something LaTeX does quite nicely. So create your graphics elsewhere. I tend to create my graphics with gnuplot or Matlab. Easy to modify, easy to understand, very easy to automate with a makefile. Use a tool that works well with the problem at hand. Using a hammer when what you need is a screwdriver is a bad idea.

1. How do I add a graph or figure to my LaTex document?

To add a graph or figure to your LaTex document, you will need to use the graphicx package. First, include the package in your document by adding \usepackage{graphicx} in the preamble. Then, use the command \includegraphics{image_file_name} where you want to insert the figure. Make sure to specify the correct file name and path of the image.

2. How can I customize the appearance of my graphs and figures in LaTex?

LaTex offers a variety of options to customize the appearance of your graphs and figures. Some common commands include \scalebox to resize the figure, \rotatebox to rotate the figure, and \caption to add a caption. You can also use the float package to control the placement of your figures and \label and \ref commands to add references and labels to your figures.

3. Can I create multiple graphs or figures in one LaTex document?

Yes, you can create multiple graphs or figures in one LaTex document. Simply use the \includegraphics command for each figure and specify the correct file name and path. You can also use the subcaption package to create subfigures within one figure environment.

4. How do I include mathematical equations or symbols in my graphs or figures?

To include mathematical equations or symbols in your graphs or figures, you will need to use the amsmath package. This will allow you to use mathematical commands such as \frac and \sqrt within your figure environment. You can also use the siunitx package to format numbers and units in your figures.

5. Is there a way to create animated graphs or figures in LaTex?

Yes, you can create animated graphs or figures in LaTex using the animate package. This allows you to include multiple images or frames in your figure and create animations using the \animategraphics command. You can also use the movie15 package to include videos in your LaTex document.