Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Design/Comic Project Help

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    So I'm no physics expert, by no means.
    But I'm working on a project that involves some weird physics elements, and I'd like it to be scientifically accurate; (if somewhat pseudo-scientific or liberally applied for flavor) and I'd like some feedback and help. The goal, in other words, isn't to be exactly scientifically accurate; but I'd like it to be close enough without destroying the flavor and setting and awesomeness...? If that makes sense. And I'll mainly be talking on points I don't quite understand.

Put basically, the premise is a world where there is a secondary, semi-liquid atmosphere where most life exists.
    Chemically, it's the same as (or interacts as similarly as possible as) our normal gaseous atmosphere.
    But mechanically, physically, it exists in a stable liquid state.
    Codename: 'Misora', Japanese for 'Sea-Sky'

The effect I'm trying to produce is such that it's similar to living underwater, but it's breathable, burnable, similarly soluble, etc. But however I justify it, priority will probably go to how cool it is, and I prefer to fudge something a little if it just makes it unlivable. Because that's much less cool. Unexpected ramifications are bonus points.

There is also an outer gaseous atmosphere, but aside from being a little more volatile, less uv protection, etc. it's pretty much the same. Just enough that it's not quite as suitable for life; less moderate, more arid, etc. So I won't really explore that much yet. (Comes much later in the story, in other words.)

That make sense to you?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2
    First topic:
    Fundamental differences.

0) I need a name for this substance... it's getting tiring. My current code-name is 'Misora', the japanese word for sky-sea. But I don't like it as much.

1) It creates surface tension between both air and water, and is only dense enough to still be considered a liquid. This creates an effect with water sort of like decreased gravity; say, if you're ringing out a rag in space, it will create a bubble of water around the rag. In other words, it's just a titch 'stickier' to itself than you would see normally?
    ISS_Hadfield_water_facecloth_lets_talk_science_curiocity.jpg
    2015-02-10 13.27.53.jpg
    And most gases soluble with air would similarly be soluble with misora; so most wouldn't appear as bubbles, or would dissolve into it as it rises.

2) The sky:
    • I see a deeper color shift happening over distance, as you'd see in water. I imagine more greenish, to deeper blue. I'd like it to be just far enough to make out the horizon, on a very clear day.
    Fish-eye:
    • I also see a sort of 'fish-eye' effect, like you get when looking up underwater. Basically, where at anything beyond around 40 degrees light starts to bounce off of the surface of the water, creating a mirror effect; except for a circle above your head, which distorts the light so you can see the entire horizon from that point. (If it wasn't too distorted to make out, that is.) n_Arnold,_assigned_to_Mobile_Diving_and_Salvage_Unit_2,_snorkels_on_the_surface_to_monitor_multi.jpg
    • The difference here is that (a) it's less dense than water, (b) less opaque than water, and (c) you're looking up at a grand sphere, instead of a mostly flat surface. Because of this, the angle of reflection would be much wider, to the point where just above the color-shift haze on the horizon, you get a mirrored band, which on sunset/sunrise would reflect that light; or at night, might reflect more purely the moonlight, or reflective light from the surface. A shimmering, starry band, if you will. 2015-02-10 13.58.03.jpg
    • As well, I can imagine with especially huge waves above you, you could also see a mirror ripple across the sky.
    Other Cool Things:
    • You could see rainbows without rain, at the right angle. I'd imagine at high noon, you would see a big circle.
    • I imagine an aurora effect might be visible... Not due to solar flares, but rather due to what I imagine is basically a charged current. Say a saline-like current, that conducts or holds a charge better than normal misora?
    Questions:
    • Would you be able to see stars, or other celestial objects? How would it affect your view of them?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook