Conceptual difference between gravitational and inertial mas

In summary, the conversation discusses the conceptual difference between inertial mass and gravitational mass, and how they are experimentally shown to be equal under non-relativistic conditions. However, under relativistic conditions, the equation GM/r^2 = ma is no longer valid.
CherryWine
I know that this question has been asked many times before on this forum, but on every existing thread either the question or the answers, or both, were too vague. I understand that inertial mass is defined as the property of an object to resist change of its velocity, that is the mass that appears in Newton's Second Law F=ma. I also understand that gravitational mass on the other hand is defined as the property of an object to attract other objects. I am aware that experimentally it has been shown that gravitational mass and inertial mass are numerically the same. But, let's examine a specific problem. Let there be an object upon which acts just one single force that is gravitational. We can write F=ma. From there we can say that F=GMm/r^2, and further expand GMm/r^2=ma. Now we usually cancel m's on each sides, but how can we do this? If we know that they are conceptually different, how can we cancel them out, regardless of their identical numerical value?

I have seen that inertial mass is dependent on the velocity of the object, so when an object travels at relativistic speeds, its inertial mass is different while gravitational mass stays the same. Now, I don't know GR very well so try to answer my question having that in mind.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CherryWine said:
If we know that they are conceptually different, how can we cancel them out, regardless of their identical numerical value?
Because experiments (under non-relativistic conditions) have shown them to be equal.
CherryWine said:
I have seen that inertial mass is dependent on the velocity of the object, so when an object travels at relativistic speeds, its inertial mass is different while gravitational mass stays the same.
Indeed. So under relativistic conditions GM/r2 = a no longer holds.

Likes CherryWine

1. What is the difference between gravitational and inertial mass?

The main difference between gravitational and inertial mass is their fundamental properties. Gravitational mass is a measure of how much an object is affected by a gravitational field, while inertial mass is a measure of how much an object resists changes in its motion. In other words, gravitational mass determines how much an object is pulled by gravity, while inertial mass determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object.

2. Are gravitational and inertial mass the same value?

Although they have different definitions, it has been experimentally shown that gravitational and inertial mass are equivalent and have the same value. This is known as the principle of equivalence and is a key component of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. How are gravitational and inertial mass measured?

Gravitational mass is typically measured by comparing the gravitational force between two objects of known masses, while inertial mass is measured by applying a known force to an object and measuring its resulting acceleration. Both types of mass are usually measured in units of kilograms (kg).

4. What are some examples of gravitational and inertial mass?

An example of gravitational mass is the mass of an object on the surface of the Earth, which determines how much it is pulled towards the Earth due to gravity. An example of inertial mass is the mass of a car, which determines how much force is needed to accelerate it to a certain speed.

5. How do gravitational and inertial mass relate to each other in Newton's laws of motion?

In Newton's laws of motion, both gravitational and inertial mass play important roles. The first law states that an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by a net force, which is determined by the object's inertial mass. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its inertial mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is determined by the gravitational mass of the objects involved.