Conceptual Heat X-fer Question (Steady state, liquid changing temp as it flows)

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation for the rate of heat transfer from a wall to a flowing liquid in a tube of diameter D, length L, and with a constant temperature Ts maintained at the inner wall. The liquid enters at a temperature Tw1 and leaves at a temperature Tw2, with a heat transfer coefficient of h. The equation for heat transfer is given by q=h(πDL)((Ts-Tw1)-(Ts-Tw2))/ln((Ts-Tw1)(Ts-Tw2)). The conversation also discusses the derivation of this equation and the use of an energy balance.
MikeOngay

Homework Statement

Not hw.. My teacher wants us to understand this as it is important for reactor design.

A liquid is flowing through a tube of diameter D. The inner wall of the tube is maintained at a constant temperature of Ts. The liquid enters at a temperature of Tw1and leaves at a temperature of Tw2. The heat transfer coefficient for the liquid under the conditions of flow is h. The length of the tube is L. Assume steady state. Show that the rate at which heat is transferred from the wall to the flowing liquid is given by
upload_2014-10-21_10-43-0.png

-

Homework Equations

q=h (π D L)((Ts−Tw1)−(Ts−Tw2))/ln((TS−Tw1)(TS−Tw2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand why the above equation is right, the only thing I can't seem to get is the ln of the bottom term, I understand the numerator, or atleast I think I do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't understand the denominator then you don't understand the numerator.

The starting equation for this derivation is:
[tex]WC_p(T(x+\Delta x)-T(x))=\pi D \Delta x h(T_s-T(x))[/tex]
where W is the mass rate of flow and Cp is the heat capacity. Do you understand where this equation comes from?
Divide both sides of the equation by delta x, and take the limit as delta x approaches zero. What differential equation do you get?

Chet

This is embarrassing but I realized that I wasn't using an energy balance while trying to solve for the heats...

Thank you!

1. What is conceptual heat transfer and what is its significance in scientific research?

Conceptual heat transfer refers to the transfer of thermal energy between objects or substances. It is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how heat is transferred and the factors that affect this transfer, which is crucial in various fields such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science.

2. What is meant by steady state in terms of heat transfer?

In heat transfer, steady state refers to a condition where the temperature of a system or object remains constant over time. This means that the rate of heat transfer into the system equals the rate of heat transfer out of the system, resulting in a constant temperature.

3. How does the temperature of a liquid change as it flows?

The temperature of a liquid can change as it flows due to heat transfer between the liquid and its surrounding environment. If the liquid is flowing through a colder environment, it will lose heat and its temperature will decrease. Conversely, if the liquid is flowing through a warmer environment, it will gain heat and its temperature will increase.

4. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in a steady state system?

The rate of heat transfer in a steady state system can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects or substances, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area and distance between the objects, and the presence of any insulating materials.

5. How is conceptual heat transfer used in real-world applications?

Conceptual heat transfer is used in many real-world applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems for buildings, optimizing heat transfer in industrial processes, and creating more efficient engines and power plants. It is also essential in understanding and predicting weather patterns and climate change.