Conceptual Question about reference frames

In summary: So, in summary, the kinetic energy of objects can differ in different inertial frames of reference, but energy is conserved in all inertial frames of reference.
kikko

Homework Statement

Do objects same kinetic energy in all inertial reference frames?
For objects interacting, is energy conserved in all inertial reference frames?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answers are No for the first one, and Yes for the second one. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is your logic or thought experiment for getting these answers?

Some people think in terms of billiard balls and consider what happens when they collide.

My logic is that since depending on what reference frame you are in, you view different objects at rest, so they'd have different amounts of kinetic energy.

My logic for the 2nd is that intertial reference frames obey the same laws of physics, so energy will be conserved. Am I correct with both responses?

kikko said:
My logic is that since depending on what reference frame you are in, you view different objects at rest, so they'd have different amounts of kinetic energy.

My logic for the 2nd is that intertial reference frames obey the same laws of physics, so energy will be conserved. Am I correct with both responses?
I think your answers are correct. Here's my logic for the first one:

I'm standing by the road and a car whizzes by at 60mph so its energy is 1/2 m v^2
Next I'm in a car going 60 mph along side the other car so to me his velocity is 0mph hence 0 energy

so I conclude the kinetic energy of an object is relative to my frame of reference

I'll let you consider a thought experiment for the second one.

Observations of speed, and therefore, kinetic energy, can differ depending on which inertial frame of reference one is considering. This applies in both Galilean (Classical) and Special Relativity.

Energy, momentum, etc. are conserved in all inertial frames of reference. This is also true in both Classical and Special Relativity.

1. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame, also known as a frame of reference, is a set of coordinates or axes that are used to describe the position, orientation, and motion of objects in space. It serves as a basis for measuring and understanding the movement of objects.

2. How does a reference frame affect measurements?

Reference frames are used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion. The choice of reference frame can affect these measurements. For example, in a moving reference frame, an object may appear to be stationary, while in a stationary reference frame, the same object may appear to be moving. Therefore, it is important to carefully select and define the reference frame when making measurements.

3. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a reference frame in which the laws of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion, hold true. In other words, an object in an inertial reference frame will remain in a state of constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This type of reference frame is often used to describe the motion of objects in space.

4. How do non-inertial reference frames differ from inertial reference frames?

Non-inertial reference frames are reference frames in which the laws of physics do not hold true. In these frames, objects may experience fictitious forces, such as centrifugal and Coriolis forces, due to the acceleration of the reference frame. Non-inertial reference frames are often used in situations where the motion of the observer is changing, such as in a rotating or accelerating reference frame.

5. Can reference frames be changed?

Yes, reference frames can be changed. In fact, multiple reference frames can be used to describe the same physical phenomenon. The choice of reference frame depends on the observer and the specific situation. For example, an astronaut in space may use a reference frame attached to their spacecraft to describe their own motion, while a scientist on Earth may use a fixed reference frame to describe the motion of the spacecraft. It is important to carefully consider the choice of reference frame in order to accurately describe and understand the motion of objects.