Conceptual doubt on frames of reference

• Thread starter physicsissohard
  • Start date
physicsissohard
Homework Statement
Take unequal masses and tie both of them with a massless inextensible thread. put that on an ideal pulley. now take this system and put it in a spaceship that has zero gravity. now pull the pulley upwards with an acceleration of g. Now the question is will the heavier mass move with respect to the ground(I mean like spaceship ground or whatever)? If not why not? Now another thing is if you observe this with the frame of reference of the heavier mass. there is a pseudo force acting on the mass. and now with newtons 2nd mg-T=ma. (T is tension and a is acceleration). Now tell me what does 'a' here mean, is that acceleration with respect to the ground, with respect to the pulley, or whatever. Now why is it with respect to whatever that answer is? Can you explain how to interpret newtons second law in this case, and what does it mean to apply it here?
Relevant Equations
mg-T=ma.
I can't solve it. this isn't a homework question just a conceptual one. doubt. one more thing is that in a sense I think gravity can be viewed as a pseudo-force, even though it clearly isn't because if it was people on the other side of the earth will be falling off lol. but for the pulley question accelerating the pulley upwards with g has the same effect Force of gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsissohard said:
will the heavier mass move with respect to the ground(I mean like spaceship ground or whatever)?
Yes.
physicsissohard said:
if you observe this with the frame of reference of the heavier mass. there is a pseudo force acting on the mass. and now with newtons 2nd mg-T=ma. (T is tension and a is acceleration). Now tell me what does 'a' here mean,
In the reference frame of the mass, it does not accelerate. The pseudoforce is equal and opposite to the tension.
##ma_{observed}=T+ma_{pseudo}=0##.

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system that is used to describe the position, motion, and orientation of an object in space. It is a set of axes and reference points that are used to measure and describe the physical world.

2. Why is conceptual doubt important in understanding frames of reference?

Conceptual doubt is important because it allows us to critically examine our understanding of frames of reference and identify any potential biases or limitations. It helps us to question and refine our assumptions and knowledge, leading to a deeper understanding of the concept.

3. How does the concept of relativity relate to frames of reference?

The concept of relativity is closely related to frames of reference. It states that physical laws and measurements are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the same event or object can be described differently depending on the observer's perspective and frame of reference.

4. Can frames of reference be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, frames of reference can be applied to everyday situations. For example, when giving directions, we often use landmarks or reference points to describe the location of a place. These landmarks serve as our frame of reference, helping us to understand the position and orientation of the place in relation to our own location.

5. How do frames of reference impact scientific experiments?

Frames of reference play a crucial role in scientific experiments. They help to establish a standard for measurement and ensure that results are consistent and accurate. Scientists must carefully consider and define their frame of reference when designing experiments to avoid biased or misleading results.