Conceptual question about wavefunctions/momentum

• Thread starter noospace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary: The expectation value of the momentum is the expectation value of the wavefunction in momentum representation.
noospace
Hi all,

If I have the wave function of a system, then the expectation of position is easily visualized as the centroid of the distribution.

Does anyone know how to visualize the expectation of velocity given just the postion-space wavefunction (real and imaginary parts)

Physics news on Phys.org
noospace said:
Hi all,

If I have the wave function of a system, then the expectation of position is easily visualized as the centroid of the distribution.

Does anyone know how to visualize the expectation of velocity given just the postion-space wavefunction (real and imaginary parts)

Er... couldn't you just use the expectation value of the momentum, i.e. <p>? I'm assuming that you know what p operator is in the real-space representation.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... couldn't you just use the expectation value of the momentum, i.e. <p>? I'm assuming that you know what p operator is in the real-space representation.

Zz.

I do know what it is!
[tex]
p = -i \frac{d}{dx}
[/tex]

...always. since p generates translations in space.

noospace said:
Hi all,

What I'm going to tell you is in a contradiction with your question, cause you say, you only have realspace wavefunction. However, i find it very instrumental to imagine it in this way:

Take the realspace wavefunction. Do its Fourier transform. You obtain a k-space wavefunction. In this representation, the momentum (~velocity) operator has exactly the same form as position operator in realspace representation. So the centre of this function is the mean momentum value.

tomasko789 said:
What I'm going to tell you is in a contradiction with your question, cause you say, you only have realspace wavefunction. However, i find it very instrumental to imagine it in this way:

Take the realspace wavefunction. Do its Fourier transform. You obtain a k-space wavefunction. In this representation, the momentum (~velocity) operator has exactly the same form as position operator in realspace representation. So the centre of this function is the mean momentum value.

yes,I agree this.
Use foiurier transformation to get the wavefunction in the momentum representation.

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of a quantum system that contains all the information about the system's physical properties, such as position, momentum, and energy. It is represented by a complex-valued function and describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular position.

2. How is a wavefunction related to momentum?

A wavefunction is related to momentum through the momentum operator, which is a mathematical operation that acts on the wavefunction to determine the momentum of a particle. The momentum operator is represented by the symbol "p" and is equal to -iħ(∂/∂x), where i is the imaginary unit, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and ∂/∂x is the partial derivative with respect to position.

3. Can a wavefunction change over time?

Yes, a wavefunction can change over time. According to the Schrödinger equation, the wavefunction evolves in time according to the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a system. This means that the wavefunction can change in shape and magnitude as the system evolves over time.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to wavefunctions and momentum?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle applies to wavefunctions and momentum because a particle's wavefunction contains information about its position and momentum. Therefore, the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position, and vice versa.

5. Can two particles have the same wavefunction and momentum?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two particles can have the same quantum state. This means that two particles cannot have the same wavefunction and momentum, as these are both part of the particle's quantum state. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.