1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual questions regarding fluid mechanics

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have some conceptual question in the fluid mechanics topics which has been bugging me for quite some time now.

1) When wax is rubbed on cloth why does the cloth become waterproof

2) A weightless baloon is filled with water. What will be the apparent weight when weighed in water.

3) A man is sitting on a boat which is floating in a pond. If he drinks some of the water in the pond What will be the net level of water in the pond change

s[/b]

3. The attempt at a solution

For 2 i think it will decrease because of the upward upthrust.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2
    As for (1) and (3) I'm not sure where your questions points at. As for your second question, a weightless balloon filled with water is just water being limited to a confined space so, asking how much the balloon weights in water is equivalent to asking how much does water weights in water. I guess you can get the answer yourself from that, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted