Basic Question about Force for Fluid Mechanics

In summary: So the force exerted by the ground on the water is -F = -μ (V/h)A. So the normal force exerted by the ground on the water is F/h = μV A/h^2. The normal force exerted by the block on the water is μV A/h^2 also. So the normal force of the ground on the block is μV^2 A/h^2. If the velocity of the block is constant, then the normal force of the ground on the block is also constant. The normal force of the ground on the block is the weight of the block. So we have μV^2 A/h^2 = mg. So the magnitude
physicswork

Homework Statement

The block of ice (temperature 0°C) shown in Figure P9.57 is drawn over a level surface lubricated by a layer of water 0.10 mm thick. Determine the magnitude of the force needed to pull the block with a constant speed of 0.50 m/s. At 0°C, the viscosity of water has the value η = 1.79 × 10^–3 N ∙ s / m^2.

I have attached the image. The surface is 0.80 x 1.20m, with force pointing to the right.

Homework Equations

Force = Pressure x Area
m = pV, p = 1.00 x 10^3 kg/m^3

not sure how these are helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just multiply the viscosity by the speed by the area of the surface divided by the thickness of the water to get the force?

So F= ηv x A / thickness = 1.79 x 10^-3 Ns/m^2 x 0.5 m/s x 0.8 x 1.2 m /0.10 = 8.6 x 10^-2 N?

The units cancel out.. not sure if this is the right approach though. I don't really know where to begin. Can anyone please help / guide me?

EDIT: Sorry... it accidentally posted when I couldn't complete the subject title. I would want it entitled "Basic Question about Force for Fluid Mechanics

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
I've just checked dynamic viscosity from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

There's the equation ##F=\mu A \frac{u}{y}##. Maybe that can be helpful to check your answer. ##u## is the speed, ##A## is the area, and ##y## the separation.

Make sure though that you verify that the equation can be applied to your problem.

Seydlitz said:
I've just checked dynamic viscosity from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

There's the equation ##F=\mu A \frac{u}{y}##. Maybe that can be helpful to check your answer. ##u## is the speed, ##A## is the area, and ##y## the separation.

Hmm so if my u = 1.79 × 10–3 N ∙ s / m2, A = 0.80m x 1.20m, v = 0.50 m/s, and y = .10 mm I should get...

F = uAv/y = 1.79x10-3 Ns/m2 * (0.80m x 1.20m) x 0.50 m/s / (0.10 mm x 10^-3 m/1mm) = 8.6 N

Can someone please check my math/logic and that my variables are correct? Is "0.10 mm" the right value to use for the separation?

Thanks for the formula.

physicswork said:
EDIT: Sorry... it accidentally posted when I couldn't complete the subject title. I would want it entitled "Basic Question about Force for Fluid Mechanics
fixed!

Thanks for fixing the title :)

The way this works is: the tangential force F exerted by the layer of water on the block (and by the ground on the layer of water) is equal to the shear stress τ times the contact area A. According to Newton's law of viscosity, the shear stress in the liquid layer is equal to the velocity gradient dv/dy within the fluid times the viscosity of the fluid μ. In this example, the velocity of the block is V, the velocity of the ground is zero, and thickness of the gap (0.1mm) is h, so the velocity gradient is V/h. So the shear stress on the block is τ = μ (V/h). So the tangential force is F = μ (V/h)A.

What is force in fluid mechanics?

Force in fluid mechanics is a quantitative measure of the interaction between two objects or a body and its surrounding fluid. It is used to describe the push or pull that an object experiences due to its interaction with the fluid.

What are the different types of forces in fluid mechanics?

There are two main types of forces in fluid mechanics: body forces and surface forces. Body forces act on the entire body, while surface forces act on the surface of the body. Some common examples of forces in fluid mechanics include gravity, pressure, and friction.

How is force calculated in fluid mechanics?

Force in fluid mechanics is calculated by multiplying the mass of the fluid by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

What is the difference between internal and external forces in fluid mechanics?

Internal forces in fluid mechanics refer to the forces that act within the fluid itself, such as pressure and viscosity. External forces, on the other hand, act on the fluid from the outside, such as gravity or an applied force from an external source.

How does force affect the behavior of fluids?

Force has a significant impact on the behavior of fluids. For example, an increase in force can cause a fluid to flow faster and create more turbulence. On the other hand, a decrease in force can result in slower flow and less turbulence. Additionally, forces can also cause fluids to change direction or compress and expand.