Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concise and complete textbook on non-relativistic QM

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    I've searched high and low for a terse (yet complete) introduction to the foundations of non-relativistic QM. Shankar is unparalleled in terms of completeness, yet it is infuriatingly verbose. Landau's presentation is a bit dated and difficult to follow in many instances. It is also not as mathematically rigorous as I'd like.

I'd say Ballentine has come closest to satisfying my aforementioned requirements, although it has many subtle errors (at least in its first couple of chapters). Are there any books I've missed in my search?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is terse and good. I'm not sure what you mean by complete.

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Thanks, I had never heard of Dirac's book until now. By "complete", I mean self-contained, so the reader does not have to refer to external sources due to the author imprecisely glossing over important topics. Landau, Shankar and Ballentine are complete/comprehensive. Griffiths, Scherrer and Cohen-Tannoudji are not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted