1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory Concise Introduction Book to Number Theory?

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    Dear Physics Forum advisers,

Could you recommend me some brief, introductory books on the number theory I can read for few weeks before jumping into the analytic number theory? Big part of my near-future research project will involve a lot of the analytic number theory, so it is needed to read books like Iwaniec and Davenport. Unfortunately, I am not quite familiar with the basic number theory, so I thought it would be wise to seek your recommendation. Unfortunately, my advisers learned the NT from algebraic and analytic aspects, so they are not familiar with the general introduction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

"A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory (Graduate Texts in Mathematics)", by K.Ireland , M.Rosen.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    I just took a brief look at that book, and it does not fit with my need. I just need a concise introduction to the basics of NT before reading the analytic NT>

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4
    If you want something really basic, you could try Elementary Number Theory and Its Application by Kenneth Rosen. The 4th edition can be had used for very little.

It's a very simple treatment, but I do still find it useful as a reference for some topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted