1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition for finite series: sum of squares finite + ?

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Let [tex]u_n[/tex] be a sequence of positive real number.
    If [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n^{2}[/tex] finite + (condition??) then [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n[/tex] finite.
    I want to find the condition.Please help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any obvious condition would be that [itex](u_{n+1}/u_n)^2[/itex] not go to 1 as n goes to infinity. The only way [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n^{2}[/tex] can converge is if [itex]lim (u_{n+1}/u_n)^2\le 1[/itex]. If [itex]lim (u_{n+1}/u_n)^2< 1[/itex] then [itex]lim u_{n+1}/u_n< 1[/itex] also and so [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n[/tex] converges. Of course, that is a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition. It is still possible that a sequence for which [itex]lim u_{n+1}/u_n\le 1[/itex] will converge.
  4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much,HallsofIvy. In my first post. you know, this is my ploblem which I've tried to do it for 1 month. Thank you again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?