1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional expectation and partitioning

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm told that of n couples, each of whom have at least one child, with couples procreating independently and no limits on family size, births single and independent, and for the ith couple the probability of a boy is p_i and of a girl is q_i with p_i + q_i = 1.

1. Show the expected family size if the ith couple stop when have had both sexes is 1/(p_iq_i) - 1.

2. If all n couples stop when have children of both sexes, what is the expected number of girls.

2. Relevant equations

E(X) = Sum(i=1..n) E(X|A_i) P(A_i)
    E(X|A) = Sum(over x) xP(X=x|A)

3. The attempt at a solution

So for 1 I've got:
    Let X be the number of births until a girl and boy
    A1 = boy born 1st
    A2 = girl born 1st
    E(X) = E(X|A_1)P(A_1) + E(X|A_2)P(A_2) = (p_i/q_i) + (q_i/p_i) = 1/(p_iq_i) -2
    Do I add 1 as I'm considering 2 births not 1?

For 2:
    I'm not too sure how to go about this at all, I can use the second formula with X being the number of girls and A being that both sexes are born, but how do I know P(X=x|A)?

Earlier in the question I calculated the expected family size if the family stopped after a boy or a girl.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Kate2010! :wink:
    hmm … start again …

(with these problems, it's just a question of how to count …)

what's the probability that the first n-1 births are the same sex, and the nth birth is different? :smile:

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Would this be (p_i ^(n-1))q_i + (q_i ^(n-1))p_i ?

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(have a sigma: ∑ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yup! :smile:

So the expected family size is … ?

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    I still dont know where to go from here. Do I use E(X) = ∑ xP(X=x)?

7. Jan 19, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Jan 19, 2010 #7
    π²³ ∞ ° → ~ µ ρ σ Ω √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ± ∃ … · θ φ ψ ω Ω α β γ δ ∂ ∆ ∇ ε λ Λ Γ ô

E(X) = ∑ n (pin-1qi + qin-1pi)?

If this is correct, which I'm really not sure about, how do I do it?

9. Jan 19, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The left-hand part is qi times ∑ npin-1

how can you calculate that ∑ ? :smile:

10. Jan 19, 2010 #9
    Would I do it as a geometris series which then differentiates to 1/(1-pi)2?

So it would be altogether qi/(1-pi)2 + pi/(1-qi)2 , but this equals 1?

11. Jan 19, 2010 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(i'm going out for the evening now, so this is my last post for some hours)

I haven't checked it properly, but did you take care to start your ∑ pn from the right point (ie does it start at n = 0, n = 1, or n = 2) ?

12. Jan 20, 2010 #11
    I'm sorry I'm still struggling with this question.
    I have qi∑ npin-1 + pi∑ nqin-1
    These are geometric sums so can I use the formula ∑ (to infinity) xn = 1/(1-x) so ∑ (to infinity) nxn-1 = d/dx(1/(1-x)) = 1/(1-x)2 . However, I'm confused about what I'm summing from and 2. Am I summing from n=2 to infinity?

13. Jan 20, 2010 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh no, this is long and complicated and i don't want to have to write it all out myself …

you write it all out, including the ∫s and the ∑n=?s and i'll check it :smile:

14. Jan 20, 2010 #13
    I want qi∑[tex]^{n=infinity}_{2}[/tex] npin-1 + pi∑[tex]^{n=infinity}_{2}[/tex] nqin-1

∑[tex]^{infinity}[/tex] xn= 1/(1-x) so ∑[tex]^{infinity}[/tex] nxn-1[/SUP = 1/(1-x)2

So qi∑[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex] npin-1 + pi∑[tex]^{infinity}_{n=1}[/tex] nqin-1 = qi/(1-pi)2 + pi/(1-qi)2 = 1/qi + 1/pi = 1/piqi

I now need to subtract the sum to 1 of each, i.e. qi∑[tex]^{n=1}_{1}[/tex] npin-1 + pi∑[tex]^{n=1}_{1}[/tex] nqin-1 = 1+1 = 2

So I get 1/piqi -2, but I wanted 1/piqi -1.

I've only done discrete random variable so far and have not used [tex]\int[/tex] in probability.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  15. Jan 20, 2010 #14
    The third line down the sums should be the other way around but I can't make it format properly.

16. Jan 20, 2010 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(have an infinity: ∞ :wink:)
    No, pi0 = qi0 = 1, so it's qi + pi = 1. :wink:

(and no need to say "the sum to 1", just say "the first term" !)

17. Jan 20, 2010 #16
    Thank you so much!

For question 2:
    If all n couples stop when have children of both sexes, what is the expected number of girls.

Do I use the forumula E(X|A) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]_{x}[/tex] xP(X=x) where X = number of girls and A = both sexes?

If so, I'm not sure how to calculate P(X=x), is it just 1/2? And would I sum from 2 to n (I'm considering n couples)?

18. Jan 20, 2010 #17

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Each family is independent, so just add the expectation for each family, i = 1 to n.

Use a similar method as before … if the last birth is a girl, the number is 1, if it's a boy, the number is … ? :smile:

19. Jan 20, 2010 #18
    Is P(X=x|A) always 1 as if there have been both sexes born there will always be a girl? Then it would just be [tex]\sum[/tex]x? But I don't know what to sum between.

20. Jan 20, 2010 #19

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm confused … where does A come into it? :confused:

Just use E(X) = ∑x xP(X=x)

21. Jan 20, 2010 #20
    I thought I should use conditional expectation.

If I use E(X) = ∑x xP(X=x) with X being the being the number of girls, do I do ∑[tex]^{n}_{x=1}[/tex] xqi?

This would be qin(n+1)/2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook