1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional normal probability, repost

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The number of hours of sunshine in one week in a specific resort is assumed to follow a normal distribution with expectation 43 and standard deviation 17.

Family A will spend the first three weeks of the summer at the resort. Family B will spend the LAST two weeks of the summer at the resort.

Assuming everything is independent, what is the probability that family A will get atleast twice as much sunshine as family B?

2. Relevant equations

A = # of sunshine hours for family A
    B = # of sunshine hours for family B

3. The attempt at a solution

E(A) = 3*E(X) = 129
    σ(A) = sqrt(3)*σ(X) = 29.4

E(B) = 86
    σ(B) = sqrt(2)*σ(X) = 24

So A ~ N(129, 29.4), B ~ N(86, 24)

If we let Z = A/B and try to find P(Z > 2), we do not have a linear combination of normally distributed random variables so I guess that's not the right way to go, assuming we want to do the normal table reading thing. So I don't know where to go from here. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You could try an integration over A or B, and see if that works.

Edit: Oh, I did not see this. Follow awkward's hint, that is way easier.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. May 8, 2013 #3
    Hint: What can you say about the distribution of the random variable A - 2B?

5. May 9, 2013 #4
    D'oh! Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted