In summary: X(x) = \int f_{X|Y}(x|y) f_Y(y)dy = \int f_Z(x-y) f_Y(y)dyIn summary, the probability density function for the amount of cash at time t+1 depends on the amount of cash at time t, the deposits made, and the log-normal distribution of the random variable Z (stock returns). This can be represented by the equation f_X(x) = \int f_Z(x-y) f_Y(y)dy.
drullanorull
Please help me with this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Imagine that I have a bank account. X is the amount of cash on the account at time t+1. Y is the amount of cash at time t. The amount of cash depends on the deposits made and on the amount of cash during the previous period. The deposits are made based on a random variable, Z, (stock returns) which has a probability density that is log-normal distributed. My question is what the probability density function for the amount of cash at time t+1 looks like.
[tex] f_X(x)=\int f_{X,Y}(x,y)dy = \int f_{X|Y}(x|y)f_Y(y)dy[/tex]
My problem is how to relate [tex] f_{X|Y}(x|y)[/tex] with the deposits.
Is [tex] f_{X|Y}(x|y)=y+f_Z(z)[/tex]
So that
[tex] f_X(x)=\int(y+f_Z(z))f_Y(y)dy[/tex]

Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
drullanorull said:
Please help me with this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Imagine that I have a bank account. X is the amount of cash on the account at time t+1. Y is the amount of cash at time t. The amount of cash depends on the deposits made and on the amount of cash during the previous period. The deposits are made based on a random variable, Z, (stock returns) which has a probability density that is log-normal distributed. My question is what the probability density function for the amount of cash at time t+1 looks like.
[tex] f_X(x)=\int f_{X,Y}(x,y)dy = \int f_{X|Y}(x|y)f_Y(y)dy[/tex]
My problem is how to relate [tex] f_{X|Y}(x|y)[/tex] with the deposits.
Is [tex] f_{X|Y}(x|y)=y+f_Z(z)[/tex]
So that
[tex] f_X(x)=\int(y+f_Z(z))f_Y(y)dy[/tex]

Is this true?

X = Y+Z. So given that Y=y, you want the density that X = y + Z = x, or Z = x-y. So
[tex] f_{X|Y}(x|y)=f_Z(x-y)[/tex]

1. What is a conditional probability density function (PDF)?

A conditional probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is used in statistics to model the relationship between two or more variables and their probabilities.

2. How is a conditional PDF different from a regular PDF?

A regular PDF describes the probability of an event occurring without any additional information. A conditional PDF takes into account the occurrence of another event and adjusts the probabilities accordingly.

3. What is the notation used for a conditional PDF?

A conditional PDF is typically denoted as f(x|y), where x is the event of interest and y is the event that has already occurred.

4. How is a conditional PDF calculated?

A conditional PDF can be calculated by dividing the joint probability of the two events by the probability of the given event. This can be represented mathematically as f(x|y) = P(x,y) / P(y).

5. What are some real-world applications of conditional PDF?

Conditional PDFs are commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and genetics. For example, in finance, conditional PDFs can be used to model the probability of stock prices given certain economic factors. In genetics, they can be used to model the probability of certain traits being inherited based on the genetic makeup of the parents.