Conditional Probability of rainfall

In summary: RCSAUGNIn summary, the homework statement is trying to find the probability that Pickwick will bring an umbrella when it is predicted to rain. However, the answer seems to be incorrect, as it is not 5/12 as expected.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_04_26_kl_8_58_29_AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

a) P(Pickwick has no umbrella | it rains) = [itex]\frac{\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{2}{9}[/itex], which is the answer according to my answer key.

b) For part b we have:

There is a rain forecast which means he will bring the umbrella. The probability that it won't rain is 1/3.

There is a non-rain forecast which means he brings the umbrella with a probability of 1/3 and it will not rain with a prob of 2/3.

P(Pickwick has umbrella | no rain) = [itex]\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3}\frac{2}{3} = \frac{5}{9}[/itex]. But the answer is apparently 5/12. What have I done incorrectly here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same as you at b) and I can't see why it is not correct.That's no guarantee for that you are correct though

TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_04_26_kl_8_58_29_AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

a) P(Pickwick has no umbrella | it rains) = [itex]\frac{\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{3}}{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{2}{9}[/itex], which is the answer according to my answer key.

b) For part b we have:

There is a rain forecast which means he will bring the umbrella. The probability that it won't rain is 1/3.

There is a non-rain forecast which means he brings the umbrella with a probability of 1/3 and it will not rain with a prob of 2/3.

P(Pickwick has umbrella | no rain) = [itex]\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3}\frac{2}{3} = \frac{5}{9}[/itex]. But the answer is apparently 5/12. What have I done incorrectly here?

I think you are correct. Let's do it in a simple way, just by counting. Imagine 9,000 days. In 4,500 of those, it rains and in 4,500 it does not. Let's use the notation R = rain, Rc = no rain, F = Forecast rain, Fc = Forecast no rain, U = umbrella, Uc =no umbrella
Lay out the data in a table:
[tex] \begin{array}{lccc}
& R & Rc & \text{tot}\\
F & N1 & N2 & (N1+N2)\\
Fc & M1 & M2 & (M1+M2) \\
\text{tot} & 4500 & 4500 & 9000
\end{array}[/tex]
We are given N1/(N1+N2) = 2/3 and M1/(M1+M2) = 1/3, as well as N1+M1 = 4500 and N2+M2 = 4500. Solving these equations we get N1 = 3000, N2 = 1500, M1 = 1500, M2 = 3000. So, the table is:
[tex] \begin{array}{lccc}
& R & Rc & \text{tot}\\
F & 3000 & 1500 & 4500 \\
Fc & 1500 & 3000 & 4500 \\
\text{tot} & 4500 & 4500 & 9000
\end{array}[/tex]
From this it follows that P(F) = 4500/9000 = 1/2 and P(Fc) = 1/2.

In (b), in the 4500 Rc-days, U occurs in 1500 (F-days) + (3000/3) (Fc-days), for a total of 2500 days. Thus, P(U|Rc) = 2500/4500 = 5/9.

RGV

1. What is conditional probability of rainfall?

Conditional probability of rainfall is the likelihood of rain occurring given that certain conditions are met, such as a specific location, time of year, or weather patterns. It takes into account the relationship between two events, in this case, the occurrence of rain and the conditions that may influence it.

2. How is conditional probability of rainfall calculated?

The formula for conditional probability of rainfall is P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where A represents the event of rain occurring and B represents the given conditions. This formula takes into account the probability of both events happening together and the probability of the given conditions.

3. Can conditional probability of rainfall be used for weather forecasting?

Yes, conditional probability of rainfall can be used for weather forecasting. It can help meteorologists make more accurate predictions by considering the relationship between different factors that may influence rain, such as temperature, humidity, and wind patterns.

4. How can we use conditional probability of rainfall in agriculture?

In agriculture, conditional probability of rainfall can be used to make informed decisions about planting and harvesting crops. By understanding the likelihood of rain based on certain conditions, farmers can plan their planting and irrigation schedules accordingly to optimize crop growth and yield.

5. Are there any limitations to using conditional probability of rainfall?

One limitation of using conditional probability of rainfall is that it relies on historical data and assumptions, which may not always accurately predict future weather patterns. It is also important to consider other factors that may affect rain, such as climate change, which may not be reflected in past data.