1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Probability Question

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose there are two urns that contain white and yellow balls. Urn 1 contains
    10 white and 5 yellow balls, and Urn 2 contains 6 white and 12 yellow balls. You
    are going to draw 3 balls without replacement from one of the urns. To decide
    which urn to draw from, you will roll an ordinary six-sided (balanced) die. If the
    die comes up with a 1, you will draw 3 balls from Urn 1, otherwise you will draw
    3 balls from Urn 2.
    (a) What is the probability you draw exactly two white balls?
    (b) Given you draw exactly two white balls, what is the probability you rolled a
    1?

2. Relevant equations
    (10,2) for instance would read ten choose 2 in combinatorics

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I'm not entirely sure how to do this, but this is my attempt..

Urn #1)
    10 white balls
    5 yellow

((10,2)(5,1))/(15,3) = P(choose exactly 2 white balls from urn #1) = P(#1) = 45/91

Urn #2)

6 white balls
    12 yellow

((6,2)(12,1))/(18,3) = P(choose exactly 2 white balls from urn #2) = P(#2) = 15/68

-----

P(draw from urn 1) = 1/6 = P(#11)
    P(draw from urn 2) = 5/6 = P(#22)

P(draw exactly 2 white balls) = P(#1)P(#11) + P(#2)P(#22) = (45/91)(1/6) + (15/68)(5/6) = 0.26624

PART B)

P(roll a 1 | draw 2 white balls) = P(roll a 1 and draw 2 white balls)/P(draw 2 white balls)

Am I on the right track here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wrong kind of question for this forum: PF is not in the business of stamp-approving homework. Wouldn't be good for our relations with the poor teachers of this world.

Show some self-assurance !

I have no clue what would be the right track, but I enjoyed following yours. Thanks for sharing this with us ! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted