1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a multiple within a probability problem.

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Below is a test problem I recently had in Probability class. I missed points on this problem (event B) because I counted 0 as a multiple of 3. But...0 is a multiple of 3 right?

I approached my professor with this concern and he told me that 0 is definetly not a multiple of 3...
    If I am right, can I have some advice on how to approach him again, or if I should at all. I lost 10% of the test grade which I could not afford..

Here's what I turned in...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An urn contains 10 identical balls numbered 0,1,...9. A random experiment involves selecting a ball from the urn and noting the number of the ball. The events A,B,C are defined as follows:
    A "number of the ball selected is odd."
    B "number of the ball selected is a multiple of 3,"
    C "number of the ball selected is less than 5,"

Find ##P(A),P(B),P(C),P(A\cup B), \text{ and } P(A\cup B \cup C).##

2. Relevant equations
    Let ##\mathbb{Z}## denote the integers.
    Say ##d## divides ##m##, equivalently, that ##m## is a multiple of ##d##, if there exists an integer ##q## such that ##m = qd##.

Let ##m=q=0 \text{ and } d=3##

then ##m=qd \Longrightarrow 0=0\times 3##

##\therefore 0 \text{ is a multiple of }3##

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]S= \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9\}[/itex]

##A= \{1,3,5,7,9\} \hspace{20pt} B= \{ 0,3,6,9\} \hspace{20pt}C=\{0,1,2,3,4\}##

##P(A)=\frac{5}{10}\hspace{20pt}P(B)=\frac{4}{10}\hspace{20pt}P(C)=\frac{5}{10}##

##P(A \cup B) =\frac{7}{10} \hspace{20pt} P(A \cup B \cup C) = \frac{9}{10}##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted