1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability & r balls randomly distributed in n cells

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    Conditional probability & "r balls randomly distributed in n cells"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm posting this in hope that someone can give me a correct interpretation of the following problem (problem V.8 of Feller's Introduction to probability theory and its applications VOL I):

8. Seven balls are distributed randomly in seven cells. Given that two cells are empty, show that the (conditional) probability of a triple occupancy of some cells equals 1/4. Verify this numerically using table 1 of II,5.

2. Relevant equations

Conditional probability:
    [tex]P\left \{A|B\right \} = \frac{P\left \{AB\right \}}{P\left \{B\right \}}[/tex]
    Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells:
    [tex]\binom{n+r-1}{r}[/tex]
    Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells and no cell remaining empty:
    [tex]\binom{r-1}{n-1}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot arrive at the 1/4 figure, so I thought this may be due to a misunderstanding of the problem statement. The way I interpreted the problem is saying that the new sample space is the same as if any 2 of the seven cells turn out to be empty, giving 315 possible arrangements:
    [tex]\binom{7}{2}\binom{7-1}{5-1} = 315[/tex]
    With this scheme, only one cell of the remaining 5 can be triply occupied, because that leaves us with distributing the remaining 4 balls in the remaining 4 cells and no cell remaining empty. If we ignore the common factor 7 choose 2 = 21:
    [tex]\frac{5}{\binom{7-1}{5-1}} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Conditional probability & "r balls randomly distributed in n cells"

Presumably you are supposed to come up with some clever direct argument, but barring that, Feller's hint will give you what you want (except for roundoff errors---which can be eliminated by going to exact rational expressions). Just consult Table I of II,5. What entries have exactly two cells empty? Among those, what entries have have triple entry cells?

RGV

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Re: Conditional probability & "r balls randomly distributed in n cells"

Thanks, now I got the correct answer. I guess my mistake was approaching the problem from "the number of indistinguishable configurations", ignoring that some of those configurations would appear more often than others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook