Conduction band, valence band and Fermi energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Pushoam
Messages
961
Reaction score
53

Homework Statement


upload_2017-12-14_23-7-38.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The probability of getting a state with energy ## E_v## is ## \frac { N_v } { N_v +N_c } = \frac1{ e^{-(E_v – E_f)/k_BT} +1} ## ………….(1)

Since, ## E_v < E_f, e^{-(E_v – E_f)/k_BT}>>1 ## as ## E_f – E_v>> k_BT ##……….(2)

So, ## \frac { N_v } { N_v +N_c } = \frac1{ e^{-(E_v – E_f)/k_BT} } ## ……….(3)

Similarly, probability of getting a state with energy ## E_c## is ## \frac { N_c} { N_v +N_c } = \frac1{ e^{-(E_c – E_f)/k_BT} +1} ##...(4)

Dividing (1) by (4) gives,

## \frac { N_v } {N_c } =## ## \frac{ e^{-(E_c – E_f)/k_BT} +1}{ e^{-(E_v – E_f)/k_BT} } ## ## = \frac{ e^{-(E_c – E_f)/k_BT} }{ e^{-(E_v – E_f)/k_BT} } ##

## k_BT \ln \frac { N_v } {N_c } = -(E_c – E_f) +(E_v – E_f) =E_v – E_c ##

Is this correct?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-14_21-57-51.png
    upload_2017-12-14_21-57-51.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 615
  • upload_2017-12-14_23-7-38.png
    upload_2017-12-14_23-7-38.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,346
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct or not, it's not an answer to the question.
And why do you say e-(Ec-Ef)/kT + 1 = e-(Ec-Ef)/kT ?
 
mjc123 said:
Correct or not, it's not an answer to the question.
I meant : Is this correct so far?
As I doubted the correctness of what I had done in the original post.
 
mjc123 said:
And why do you say e-(##E_c-E_f##)/kT + 1 = e-(##E_c-E_f##)/kT ?
I said about ##E_v##, not ##E_c##.
According to the question, ##E_f - E_v >>k_B T##. So, ##exp\{(E_f - E_v )/k_BT \}>> 1 ##.
Hence, ignoring 1 to make calculation simple,##exp\{(E_f - E_v )/k_BT\} +1 \approx exp\{(E_f - E_v )/k_BT\}##.
 
But you say it implicitly in the penultimate line of your calculation.
 
mjc123 said:
But you say it implicitly in the penultimate line of your calculation.
It is said implicitly in eqn(2).
 
I need to know whether my approach so far is correct. So, please help me here.
 
Pushoam said:
It is said implicitly in eqn(2).
No, that's Ev. I'm talking about Ec. Look at the line after "dividing 1 by 4 gives"
I have my suspicions that the question is not correct. The formula gives Pv << 1, which does not look sensible. Should the minus sign before (E-Ef)/kT be a plus sign?
 
OK, I've had a closer look at it. It should be a plus sign in that expression, i.e. P = 1/(e(E-Ef)/kT +1). This is not the "probability of getting a state", but the probability of an individual state being occupied. It is not a function of Nc and Nv.
Now take the statement that at equilibrium the number of electrons in the conduction band is equal to the number of holes in the valence band. How would you express that mathematically in terms of the quantities you are given?