Conductivity & Atomic Packing Factor

In summary: You're right, the electronic structure affects the conductivity. The more an atom is packed in a particular way, the more conductive the material will be. For example, a material with a higher atomic packing factor will have more electrons in the valence band, which will lead to a higher conductivity. Additionally, the bandgap will be smaller because less energy is needed to move an electron across the bandgap.
infinite_gbps
First question, is atomic packing factor as described in wiki the same as fill factor?

If so, how does it relate to the conductivity? Does conductivity increase will the increase in atomic packing factor or fill factor?

I don't understand the relationship between conductivity and fill factor. Especially as it relates to semiconductors.

If anyone can help me understand then it would be great or provide some reading material.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what 'fill factor' is, but it does sound like it's related to the atomic packing factor.

The atomic packing factor is really mostly a geometric concept. It doesn't have a terrible lot of uses, because the 'radius' of atoms is not constant. Basically when you talk about the radius of atoms in a crystal, you're defining the radius to be half the atom-atom distance. There's no physical reason to assume that it'll be the same in another crystal or compound. It usually isn't. Atoms aren't tiny hard spheres.

Basically, atoms pack the way they do into crystals depending on their electronic structure. How many valence electrons, and in which orbitals. The electronic structure also determines their conductance. It's not as simple as whether atoms are close together or not.

For a substance to conduct, it depends on the electrons forming the bonds between the atoms. Their energy level is called the 'valence band'. The next (empty) level in energy above that is called the 'conduction band'. If the energy range of the two bands overlap, then it acts as a conductor. To put this in another (more chemistry-ish) way, if the atoms can bind to each-other in more than one way (at the same energy level), then it conducts.

I'm not sure what 'fill factor' is, but it does sound like it's related to the atomic packing factor.

Yeah I think it is related to atomic packing factor from what I was reading. Atomic packing factor does relate to Electronic Structure, no?

The electronic structure also determines their conductance.

For a substance to conduct, it depends on the electrons forming the bonds between the atoms. Their energy level is called the 'valence band'. The next (empty) level in energy above that is called the 'conduction band'. If the energy range of the two bands overlap, then it acts as a conductor. To put this in another (more chemistry-ish) way, if the atoms can bind to each-other in more than one way (at the same energy level), then it conducts.

Your starting to get me to understand. Let's take body centered cubic and face centered cubic. One has more of an atomic packing factor than the other and therefore has more electrons forming bonds, correct? Since there are more electrons forming bonds there should be an increase in conductivity, correct? If not could you please help me to understand.

Also, probably the same question but, does the increase in atomic packing factor and/or electronic structure make the bandgap much smaller? I'm asking because you said that if the two bands overlap then you get a good conductor (paraphrasing). Therefore it would take less energy to move an electron from one band to the other, correct?

Thank you so much for the reply.

What is conductivity?

Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct an electric current. It is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, structure, and temperature.

What is the relationship between conductivity and atomic packing factor?

The atomic packing factor (APF) is a measure of how tightly packed atoms are in a material. A higher APF typically results in a higher conductivity, as there are more free electrons available for conducting electricity. However, this relationship is not always direct and can depend on other factors such as the type of bonding between atoms.

How does temperature affect conductivity?

In most cases, an increase in temperature results in an increase in conductivity. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for electrons to move through a material, making it easier for them to conduct electricity. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as in semiconductors where increasing temperature can decrease conductivity.

What is the difference between electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity?

Electrical conductivity refers to a material's ability to conduct an electric current, while thermal conductivity refers to its ability to conduct heat. These two properties are related, as materials with high electrical conductivity often have high thermal conductivity as well. However, there are some materials that exhibit high electrical conductivity but low thermal conductivity, and vice versa.

How do impurities affect conductivity?

Impurities can have a significant impact on a material's conductivity. In general, impurities can disrupt the regular structure of a material, making it more difficult for electrons to flow and reducing its conductivity. However, some impurities, such as dopants in semiconductors, can actually increase conductivity by introducing free charge carriers into the material.