Conductivity of metals at 0 kelvin?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 8K views
mfb said:
It can be different from zero (with a degenerate ground-state), but it does not have to.

I don't think there are actual thermodynamical systems whose true ground state is degenerate. Usually at sufficiently low temperatures some very weak interactions break the degeneracy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to calculate that all physical wavefunctions satisfy the (p,x)-uncertainty principle. This is related to the mathematics of Fourier transformations. Alternatively, it is possible to derive it in a pure algebraic way as well.
every one knows that.
Source?
It been time.I think it was written in vol. 1 of his and early chapters.
 
andrien said:
I think it was written in vol. 1 of his and early chapters.

If you could provide a page number, chapter number or something like that that would be helpful, but either way I'm going to check this out when i next visit a suitable library, because i would have expected better of Feynman!
 
psmt said:
i would have expected better of Feynman!

He was unambiguously referring to zero point energy, not entropy.