Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence that data belongs to distribution

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    This seems like a simple question, but I'm just not too knowledgeable about statistical methods.

I have a piecewise pdf [tex]f(x;\gamma)[/tex] (not any regular distribution) where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is known, and a set of non-uniformly spaced data points I obtained that somewhat resemble [tex]f(x;\gamma)[/tex]. How do I go about finding some numeric value that shows the probability that my data comes from this distribution?
    Also, once I'm able to do this, is there a methodology that allows me to find the best way the data fits, i.e. find [tex]x_\mathrm{shift}[/tex] such that if all data points are shifted right by [tex]x\rightarrow x+x_\mathrm{shift}[/tex], the data has the highest probability of coming from [tex]f(x;\gamma)[/tex]?

(If it makes a difference, the pdf is http://nvl.nist.gov/pub/nistpubs/jres/106/2/j62mil.pdf" [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    Would that be "maximum likelihood estimation", where the parameter to be estimated is xshift?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook