Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to model data using a quadratic equation with a Gaussian or uniform noise component. The value of f(x) and the parameter a are of significant interest, but fitting the curve can result in significantly different values of a, b, and c. The post suggests using asymptotic linearized confidence intervals to estimate the variance of the parameter a, and also mentions a possible Bayesian approach using Monte-Carlo simulation. The discussion concludes with the recommendation of using the "fit" function in Matlab to obtain confidence intervals for a given level of confidence.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a bunch of noisy data points (x,y), and I want to model the data as y = ax2 + bx + c + noise where noise can probably be assumed to be Gaussian, or perhaps uniformly distributed. My data is firmly inside of an interval and I'm only interested in modeling correctly inside of this interval.

My experience is that fitting such a curve can result in significantly different values of a,b and c with only a very small change in the actual curve. For example

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y+=++x^2+++50,+y+=+1.3+x^2+-+10x+++100+on+[10,30]

The things of significant interest to me are the value of f(x) which I believe is being modeled quite well with what I am doing (just picking f(x) to be the quadratic fit minimizing the sum of squared errors) , and the value of a itself which is probably not getting modeled very well because of issues like the above. Does anybody know/have thoughts on statistical testing I can do to determine a confidence interval for a given the noisy data?

Physics news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
The things of significant interest to me are the value of f(x)

The title of the post suggests that you want a confidence interval for [itex] a [/itex].

I've offered an opinion in several threads on the forum about how software packages compute confidence intervals for the parameters of curves in curve fits. Nobody has confirmed or contradicted me yet! The gist of it is that these confidence intervals are "asymptotic linearized confidence intervals". This amounts to writing a linear approximation for the formula that the curve fit algorithm uses to find the parameter in terms of the data. The parameter is regarded as a random variable that is a linear function of the data. Assume the data are independent random variables and you can estimate the variance of the parameter in terms of the variances of the data.

The problem with finding a more respectable way to give a confidence interval for a parameter is that if you regard the parameter as a random variable then, after doing a curve fit, you have a sample for it consisting of 1 single value, namely the value produced by the curve fit algorithm. So how can you estimate the variance of the parameter from a sample of size 1?

If you use a Bayesian approach with prior distributions for the parameters, I think you could estimate a confidence interval by a Monte-Carlo simulation. If you assume the parameters that you got from the curve fit are a good approximation for the "real" parameters and that the means and variances of the data are a good approximation for the means and variances of the phenomena being measured, you could do a Monte-Carlo approximation. It would involve generating data with random errors and fitting a curve to it. Do this many times and you get many simulated samples of the parameters.

Likes 1 person
Stephen Tashi said:
The title of the post suggests that you want a confidence interval for [itex] a [/itex].

Hence everything that came after that part!

and the value of a itself which is probably not getting modeled very well because of issues like the above. Does anybody know/have thoughts on statistical testing I can do to determine a confidence interval for a given the noisy data?

I've offered an opinion in several threads on the forum about how software packages compute confidence intervals for the parameters of curves in curve fits. Nobody has confirmed or contradicted me yet! The gist of it is that these confidence intervals are "asymptotic linearized confidence intervals". This amounts to writing a linear approximation for the formula that the curve fit algorithm uses to find the parameter in terms of the data. The parameter is regarded as a random variable that is a linear function of the data. Assume the data are independent random variables and you can estimate the variance of the parameter in terms of the variances of the data.

This sounds pretty good to me. I googled around and found a couple packages that purport to do something similar to what you are describing. I'll give them a shot and report back.

Reporting back: Matlab has a function called "fit" in which you give it data and a model to try to fit to and you can run the output through "confint" to get confidence intervals at any level of confidence you desire. This is probably good enough, if I need something different I can take your description of how these calculations are done and do it myself by hand tweaking as desired. Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is a Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit?

A Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit is a statistical measure that estimates the range of values in which the true quadratic coefficient of a particular data set is likely to fall. It is used to assess the uncertainty of the estimated coefficient and to provide a range of possible values for the coefficient.

2. How is a Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit calculated?

A Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit is calculated using the data points and the estimated quadratic coefficient from a quadratic regression model. The calculation involves using the standard error of the coefficient, the t-statistic, and the degrees of freedom to determine the upper and lower bounds of the confidence interval.

3. What does a Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit indicate?

A Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit indicates the level of uncertainty in the estimated quadratic coefficient. It provides a range of values within which the true coefficient is likely to fall with a certain level of confidence (usually 95%). A wider confidence interval indicates a higher level of uncertainty, while a narrower interval indicates a lower level of uncertainty.

4. Why is a Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit important?

A Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit is important because it allows us to assess the reliability of the estimated coefficient. It also helps us to determine the significance of the coefficient in relation to the other variables in the model. Additionally, it provides a range of values that can be used to make predictions or decisions based on the data.

5. How can a Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit be interpreted?

A Confidence Interval for Coefficient of Quadratic Fit should be interpreted as a range of values within which the true coefficient is likely to fall. For example, if the confidence interval is [0.2, 0.5], it can be interpreted as the true coefficient having a 95% chance of falling between 0.2 and 0.5. It is also important to note that the confidence interval is specific to the data and may vary if a different sample is used or if the model is modified.