Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confirming divergence theorm example

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    Hello, I am having trouble confirming that the flux integral is equal to the divergence over a volume. I am making a silly mistake & its just one of those days that I can't eyeball it. Here is the problem.

I want to compute the flux integral for

[itex]
    \vec{ F}=x\hat i+y\hat j-z\hat k
    [/itex]

out of the closed cone

[itex]
    x^2+y^2=z^2 \,\,\,\,\,\,\,0\leq z\leq1
    [/itex]

Let us first do this the easy way using the divergence theorm.

[itex]
    \int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}=\int \int \int \nabla \cdot \vec F dV
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \nabla \cdot \vec F=1
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \int \int \int \nabla \cdot \vec F dV=\int_0^{2\pi} d\theta \int_0^1 r dr \int_r^1 dz=\frac{\pi}{3}
    [/itex]

This agrees with the formula for the volume of a cone of radius one and height one. Now, let us apply the flux integral directly.

First lets look at the cone.

[itex]
    \int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}=\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_1+\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_2
    [/itex]

where S1 is the cone and S2 is the lid of the cone, namely the unit disk z=1.

[itex]
    f=x^2+y^2-z^2=0
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \nabla f=(2x,2y,-2z)
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \hat n=\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}=\frac{(2x,2y,-2z)}{2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}=\frac{(2x,2y,-2z)}{2 \sqrt{2}z}
    [/itex]

[itex]
    d\textbf{S}_1=\hat n \sqrt{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}^2+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}^2+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}^2} dx dy=\hat n 2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} dx dy= \hat n 2 \sqrt{2}z dx dy =(2x,2y,-2z)dx dy
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_1=\int\int \vec F \cdot (2x,2y,-2z)dx dy=\int\int 2x^2+2y^2+2z^2 dx dy =\int\int 4x^2+4y^2 dx dy=\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta \int_0^1 r dr 4 r^2=2\pi
    [/itex]

Over the disk [itex]\hat n=\hat k[/itex] and z=1

[itex]
    \int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_2=-\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta\int_0^1 r dr =-\pi
    [/itex]

Hence,

[itex]
    2\pi-\pi=\pi
    [/itex]

So this is the wrong answer. I don't see where I went wrong. Can someone please help? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2
    You applied the divergence theorem correctly. The flux over the circle is also correct.
    The mistake you made is when you computed the flux over S1: the cone. To define
    the normal for z=f(x,y) first write it in a format as follows:
    [tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}-z=0[/tex] Then the normal [itex] N[/itex] will be
    [tex]N=<\frac{x}{z},\frac{y}{z},-1>[/tex] From here you can do the work and show
    that the flux you get will be [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex] This will confirm the divergence
    theorem. Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

4. Dec 24, 2011 #3
    I worked it out and I got the correct answer. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook