Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal and non-conformal transformations

1. Nov 26, 2015 #1
    It is well known that from a two-dimensional solution of Laplace equation for a particular geometry, other solutions for other geometries can be obtained by making conformal transformations.

Now, I have a function defined on a disc centered at the origin and is given by

f(r) = a r

where a is constant and r is the radial distance from the origin. My function is obviously not a solution of the Laplace equation. However, I want to see if it is possible to find a transformation (conformal or non-conformal) that maps this to a rectangle (centered on the origin with length L in the x-direction and width W in the y-direction) so that I obtain the corresponding solution on the rectangular geometry similar to what is done with Laplace solutions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only analytic functions have conformal maps, so your first step is to determine whether your function is analytic over the disk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook