1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal mapping. From an ellipse to a rectangle

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1
    Is it possible to transform an ellipse

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1 ("a" minor or major semiaxis)

Into a rectangle?
    If so, how can I do it? I am not very familiar so please explain all the details. I know the transformation from a circle to an airfoil, but not this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Conformally? I don't think so. Conformal mappings preserve angles.

4. Jun 23, 2006 #3
    I know that there is a transformation from a rectangle to an ellipse (book advanced enginnering mathematics by Kreyszig) but it is not conformal somewhere

5. Jun 24, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like I just said, conformal mappings preserve angles. There are at least four places where a rect-angle ('rect' means 'right', 'angle' means 'angle') cannot be mapped conformally to an ellipse. Are there any right angles on the boundary of an ellipse?

6. Jun 24, 2006 #5
    AKG, what you are saying is obvious and I knew it. But, except these four points, is there a transformation?

7. Jun 24, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you really looking to turn an ellipse into a rectangle, or are you more interested in their interiors?

8. Jun 25, 2006 #7
    I am trying to transform the ellipse into a rectangle

9. Aug 29, 2008 #8
    Hi, I found your quote while doing a search for transforming a rectangle to an ellipse. I found the book you mentioned and could not find the information I am looking for.

Can anyone assist me in finding out how to transform a rectangle into an ellipse?

Thanks

10. Oct 22, 2010 #9
    What you can do is map the ellipse to the real axis and map the real axis to a regular 4-sided polygon using Schwartz-Christoffel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?