Confused about a 3 mass coupled oscialltion

In summary: Post your working. Every step.It should start with ##m\ddot x_b=## and finish with ##=constant \times x_b##.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Shown in body
So the textbook uses 3 equations for these,

d 2/dt2 (y1 + y3 − √ 2y2) = − k / m (2 + 1/ √ 2 ) (y1 + y3 − √ 2y2)

d 2 /dt2 (y1 + y3 + √ 2y2) = − k / m (2 − 1/ √ 2 ) (y1 + y3 + √ 2y2)

d 2/ dt2 (y1 − y3) = − 2k / m (y1 − y3)

Now the question is asking for the largest natural frequency. Now I must be applying the above equations the wrong way, but I chose number 1 of the above where = − k m (2 + 1 / √ 2 ) (y1 + y3 − √ 2y2).

What I did to find w was make it equal the part in front of the y1, y2 ect like this

w=sqrt(k/(2m)+k/(2m sqrt(2))). Now this gave me the wrong answer of 2.07 when the answer is suppose to be 2.32, quite a bit higher. The next question also asks the same thing but for the smallest frequency and if I use equation 3 of the above in the same way to get w, I will also get the wrong answer.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting terms like 2+√2 where you have 2+1/√2. That seems to explain the difference.

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
I'm getting terms like 2+√2 where you have 2+1/√2. That seems to explain the difference.
Well that gives me the right answer but I am not sure why. See attached for the equation from text I was using here (easier to read then me typing it out).

It seems to show 2+1/√2 and not 2+√2

Attachments

• Equation.PNG
    Equation.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 66
JoeyBob said:
See attached for the equation from text I was using
I don't understand. Did you derive this equation (if so, please post your working) or are you getting it from a provided solution?

haruspex said:
I don't understand. Did you derive this equation (if so, please post your working) or are you getting it from a provided solution?

Its directly from the textbook when its talking about 3 masses moving perpendicularly. Using what you showed I can also find the min natural frequency by subtracting the second term instead of adding it.

But I don't understand because the textbook seems to use 1/√2 as I showed. But I could just be interpreting the equation incorrectly.

JoeyBob said:
Its directly from the textbook when its talking about 3 masses moving perpendicularly. Using what you showed I can also find the min natural frequency by subtracting the second term instead of adding it.

But I don't understand because the textbook seems to use 1/√2 as I showed. But I could just be interpreting the equation incorrectly.
I worked directly from the question as in the attachment. You could do the same.

haruspex said:
I worked directly from the question as in the attachment. You could do the same.
But shouldn't the equation for 3 mass systems derived from the text also apply?

JoeyBob said:
But shouldn't the equation for 3 mass systems derived from the text also apply?
What text are you referring to? I used the equations in the attachment in post #1 and these led to factors like (2+√2) and (2-√2), not (2+1/√2) and (2-1/√2).

haruspex said:
What text are you referring to? I used the equations in the attachment in post #1 and these led to factors like (2+√2) and (2-√2), not (2+1/√2) and (2-1/√2).

So to derive it, xb is the one that has the greatest natural frequency. I then put a sqrt(2) in front of all the x2s and add up the equations?

JoeyBob said:
So to derive it, xb is the one that has the greatest natural frequency. I then put a sqrt(2) in front of all the x2s and add up the equations?
Please post your working.

haruspex said:
Please post your working.

So -kx1-k(x1-x2) = -2kx1+kx2 and using xb you get -kx1+sqrt(2)kx2. Then you use the w equation to and w/2pi to get frequency

JoeyBob said:
So -kx1-k(x1-x2) = -2kx1+kx2 and using xb you get -kx1+sqrt(2)kx2. Then you use the w equation to and w/2pi to get frequency
Post your working. Every step.
It should start with ##m\ddot x_b=## and finish with ##=constant \times x_b##.

1. What is a 3 mass coupled oscillation?

A 3 mass coupled oscillation refers to a system of three masses that are connected by springs and are able to oscillate back and forth together.

2. How does a 3 mass coupled oscillation work?

In a 3 mass coupled oscillation, the masses are connected by springs which act as restoring forces. When one mass is displaced, it exerts a force on the other masses through the springs, causing them to also oscillate. This leads to a continuous back and forth motion of all three masses.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a 3 mass coupled oscillation?

The frequency of a 3 mass coupled oscillation is affected by the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the springs, and the initial displacement of the masses.

4. How is energy conserved in a 3 mass coupled oscillation?

In a 3 mass coupled oscillation, the total energy of the system remains constant. As the masses oscillate, they continually exchange potential and kinetic energy with each other, but the total energy remains the same.

5. What real-life applications are there for a 3 mass coupled oscillation?

3 mass coupled oscillations can be found in various systems such as mechanical clocks, pendulums, and even in the vibrations of molecules. Understanding this type of oscillation is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry.