Confused about an inverse (which then leads on to a calculus problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverse functions and how they relate to the original function. It is also mentioned that derivative functions can be applied to both x and y variables. The confusion around notation is addressed and it is clarified that f is the original function, f-1 is the inverse function, and f' is the derivative of f.
Moogie
Hi

I'm doing some work on finding the derivative of an inverse function and getting a bit lost, probably because I am confusing myself with the inverses. So i think i need to clear up the inverse part before I move on to the calculus bit.

You have the function

f(x) = 1/3x3 - x2 + 5x -11

This function has an inverse f-1(x). Set this equal to y

y = f-1(x)

You can then say f(y) = x

Is this because f(y) = f(f-1(x)) = x

I'm now getting confused, due to notation I think. The f by definition is

1/3(some input)3 - (some input)2 + 5(some input) -11

So f(y) = 1/3y3 - y2 + 5y -11 = x

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to know whether the function have inverse. Not all function have inverses usually because aren't injection. There is a nice theorem which states that if the function is monotonically increasing then it has inverse.

f(x)=(1/3)x3 - x2 + 5x -11

f'(x)=(2/3)x2 - 2x+5 = (2/3)(x2-3x+15/2)=(2/3)((x-(3/2))2-(9/4)+(15/2))=(2/3)((x-(3/2))2+(21/4))>0

Or you can check this was:

D=4-4*(2/3)*5=4-40/3<0 so f'(x)=0 have complex roots.

Now that tells you that f(x) is monotonically increasing and have inverse function.

y = f-1(x)

is correct.

Now suppose:

y = f-1(x)
then x = (1/3)y3 - y2 + 5y -11

Because it is hard to find y in terms of x, we can do what's called implicit differentiation, and find dy/dx or y'.

P.S Treat y as composition and use the chain rule.

Regards.

Hi

Thanks for your reply but that isn't what I was asking sadly. I have previously found out the function has an inverse by the method you suggested. The bit where I got confused was the inverse function notation. I understand how to do the bit that comes after (the implicit differentiation bit)

This is the bit I didn't get because I'm not used to inverse functions:

==================================

y = f-1(x)

Is this right?

Moogie said:
Hi

I'm doing some work on finding the derivative of an inverse function and getting a bit lost, probably because I am confusing myself with the inverses. So i think i need to clear up the inverse part before I move on to the calculus bit.

You have the function

f(x) = 1/3x3 - x2 + 5x -11

This function has an inverse f-1(x). Set this equal to y

y = f-1(x)

Is this right?
Yes, everything looks good. Maybe I can help you with the notation by slightly revising what you wrote, using x as the input to f and y as the input to f-1.

If a function f has an inverse f-1, then y = f(x) and x = f-1(y) are equivalent equations. Any ordered pair (x, y) that is a solution to the first equation is also a solution to the second, and vice versa. Another way to say this is that any point (x, y) on the graph of f is also on the graph of f-1.

A function and its inverse are such that each one completely undoes the operations of the other. As a result, f-1(f(x)) = x and f(f-1(y)) = y.

Here's a simple example, with y = f(x) = 2x + 1. I can solve this equation for x to get x = f-1(y) = (1/2)(y - 1). Two points on the graph of f are (0, 1) and (1, 3), where 1 = f(0) and 3 = f(1).

The same points are on the graph of f-1, but here we get the x coordinate as a function of the y coordinate. 0 = f-1(1) and 3 = f-1(1).

Both functions have exactly the same graph: a line whose slope is 2 and whose y-intercept is 1. Since y = f(x) and x = f-1(y) are equivalent, we would expect their graphs to be identical.

If you write the inverse function so that the inputs are x values and the outputs are y values, we get a different graph, since y = f(x) and y = f-1(x) are no longer equivalent equations. In the first function, (0, 1) is still a point on the graph, but now (1, 0) -- coordinates swapped -- is a point on the graph of y = f-1(x). By swapping y for x and x for y, the net effect is that each point is reflected across the line y = x.

Hope this helps.

That was an incredibly helpful replyy. Very clear. Thank-you

I think I can see why I'm confused. I am not used to thinking of just f as the function. I'm used to thinking of f(x) as the function, but it isn't. I know this is incredibly rudimentary but when you write f-1 you are saying 'the function which is the inverse of f' aren't you? The x and y or whatever variable make no difference

I've been stuck on this since this morning. I need to move to an american time zone :)

I've been so stupid...

I've obviously never fully understood this notation. Is this right:

f is the function
f-1 is the inverse of function f
f' is the derivative of function f

so f'(x) and f'(y) are the same in that they are both the output of applying the derviative function of f to some variable, x in the first case and y in the second

so if f' = (some input variable)^2
then f'(y) = y^2 and f'(x) = x^2

Moogie said:
I've been so stupid...

I've obviously never fully understood this notation. Is this right:

f is the function
f-1 is the inverse of function f
f' is the derivative of function f

so f'(x) and f'(y) are the same in that they are both the output of applying the derviative function of f to some variable, x in the first case and y in the second

so if f' = (some input variable)^2
then f'(y) = y^2 and f'(x) = x^2
Right on all counts. Very good!

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" or reverses the effect of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps x to y, its inverse function, denoted as f^(-1)(y), maps y back to x.

2. How do I find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the roles of x and y in the original function and solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse function.

3. What is the relationship between a function and its inverse?

The inverse of a function is essentially the "mirror image" of the original function. This means that the x and y values are swapped, and the graph of the inverse function is a reflection of the original function's graph over the line y = x.

4. How do I use inverses to solve calculus problems?

Inverses can be used to solve calculus problems by finding the inverse of the given function and then using it to solve for the variable in question. This is especially useful in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum value requires finding the inverse of the function and setting it equal to 0.

5. What are some common mistakes when dealing with inverse functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to switch the roles of x and y when finding the inverse function. Another mistake is assuming that all functions have inverses, when in fact, some functions do not have inverses or have restricted domains for their inverses.