Confused about how to insert fractions into matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the first line of a matrix representing the derivative of a function mapping ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}^2##. The purpose of c' is unclear, and blank lines should be avoided in math mode.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
I keep trying to type in the code in the body of this message out, but the console returns this error message:

"! Missing \endgroup inserted.
<inserted text>
\endgroup
l.115 \frac
{\partial f^1}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial f^1}{\partial v} \\"
Code:
$$c'\begin{pmatrix}u \\ v \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial f^1}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial f^1}{\partial v} \\\frac{\partial f^2}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial f^2}{\partial v}\end{pmatrix}

$$

There is a problem with the first line of the matrix, but I am not too sure what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what the problem is. Here is almost identical LaTeX code, with the only differences being I used inline delimiters rather than the standalone $ delimiters, and I didn't include what you have at the start of your first line -- i.e., c'\begin{…}. What's the purpose of c'? I thought at first it might be a comment, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

##\begin{pmatrix}u \\ v \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \frac{\partial f^1}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial f^1}{\partial v} \\ \frac{\partial f^2}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial f^2}{\partial v} \end{pmatrix}##

It's the derivative of a function mapping ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Remove the blank lines, they are not allowed in math mode. If you really want to create space in your code like this, use lines with a single comment (%).

Okay, thanks for the tip.

1. How do I represent fractions in a matrix?

Fractions can be represented in a matrix by using the slash symbol (/) to divide the numerator and denominator. For example, 1/2 would be represented as 1/2 in a matrix.

2. Can I use mixed numbers in a matrix?

Yes, mixed numbers can be used in a matrix by converting them into improper fractions. For example, 2 and 1/2 would be represented as 5/2 in a matrix.

3. How do I add or subtract fractions in a matrix?

To add or subtract fractions in a matrix, you must first find a common denominator for the fractions. Then, you can add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator. For example, 1/2 + 1/4 would become 3/4 in a matrix.

4. Can I multiply or divide fractions in a matrix?

Yes, you can multiply or divide fractions in a matrix. To do so, simply multiply or divide the numerators and denominators separately. For example, (1/2) * (1/3) would become 1/6 in a matrix.

5. What happens if I encounter a fraction in a matrix that cannot be simplified?

If you encounter a fraction in a matrix that cannot be simplified, leave it as is. It is important to keep the fractions in their simplest form when working with matrices.