1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am confused about how multivariable calc works

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My teacher introduced the third dimension (## R^3 ##) and higher dimensions to my class using vectors. Later on, my teacher introduced functions of two or more variables and now there's no mention of vectors. I am confused as to how vectors (i + j + k) and functions of two or more variables f(x, y, z) are related.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to start. Thank you all!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Typical convention is that i is the eigenbasis of x, j is the eigenbasis of y, and k is the eigenbasis of z.

Other than that, it depends on what you're doing. For instance, taking the gradient requires taking the partial of your function, f(x,y,z) with respect to each variable, and multiplying each of those by their respective eigenvector as below:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradient.html

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would not use "eigen" here. The vectors i, j, and k are the unit vectors pointing in the directions of the x, y, and z axes, respectively. The gradient of a scalar valued function points in the direction of fastest increase and its length is the rate of change in that direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted