I am confused about how multivariable calc works

In summary, your teacher introduced vectors to explain the concept of higher dimensions, but later focused on functions of two or more variables. The relationship between vectors and functions of multiple variables can be seen in the gradient, where the unit vectors i, j, and k correspond to the x, y, and z axes and are used to calculate the rate of change in each direction.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

My teacher introduced the third dimension (## R^3 ##) and higher dimensions to my class using vectors. Later on, my teacher introduced functions of two or more variables and now there's no mention of vectors. I am confused as to how vectors (i + j + k) and functions of two or more variables f(x, y, z) are related.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start. Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Typical convention is that i is the eigenbasis of x, j is the eigenbasis of y, and k is the eigenbasis of z.

Other than that, it depends on what you're doing. For instance, taking the gradient requires taking the partial of your function, f(x,y,z) with respect to each variable, and multiplying each of those by their respective eigenvector as below:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradient.html

I would not use "eigen" here. The vectors i, j, and k are the unit vectors pointing in the directions of the x, y, and z axes, respectively. The gradient of a scalar valued function points in the direction of fastest increase and its length is the rate of change in that direction.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves studying the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions and how they change over space and time.

2. How is multivariable calculus different from single variable calculus?

The main difference between multivariable calculus and single variable calculus is the number of variables involved. In single variable calculus, there is only one independent variable, while in multivariable calculus, there are multiple independent variables that affect the function's output.

3. What are some applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has numerous real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What are the basic concepts in multivariable calculus?

The fundamental concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector-valued functions, and vector calculus. These concepts are used to analyze and solve problems involving functions with multiple variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of multivariable calculus, it is essential to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the underlying concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get a better grasp of the subject.