Confused about human sensitivity to color

In summary, The conversation discusses the creation of an optimal colormap for displaying interval data. The goal is to design a scale that is linear in perceived luminance while also taking into account the hue component to mitigate the simultaneous contrast effect. The longest curved path through CIELAB space that is still within the sRGB gamut is achieved with a hue of 325 degrees, which maximizes chroma. However, there is confusion on which hue to choose as different sources suggest different options, such as yellow-green or magenta, as being most sensitive to the human eye. The correct transfer function is uncertain. Additionally, Pizer and Zimmerman mention that the human visual system is most sensitive to luminance changes in orange-yellow hues, but most sensitive to
atrix621
I am trying to design an optimal colormap for display interval data.

I would like to create a scale that is linear in perceived luminance while adding a hue component to help mitigate the simultaneous contrast effect. However, I am confused on what hue to pick.

The longest curved path I get through CIELAB space that is still in the sRGB gamut is with hue=325 degrees -- that gives me a path where the chroma is maximized. On the other hand, several different sources tell me that the human eye is most sensitive to yellow-green (http://deron.meranda.us/ruminations/purple/ http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/u12l2b.cfm) or magenta (http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~fovell/AS3/theory_of_color.html ). What is actually the correct transfer function?

Additionally, Pizer and Zimmerman in "Color display for ultrasoundography" say the human visual system is most sensitive to luminance changes in orange-yellow hues but humans are most sensitive to hue changes in magenta, but they list no sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really help you, but I do know that John Barbur at City University in London was actively researching in this area around ten years ago. That might be a name to start searches in the literature. I recall that he used a green-on-nicotine-yellow colour scheme in his PowerPoint slides, which looked horrendous but was definitely easy to read. :D

1. What is human sensitivity to color?

Human sensitivity to color refers to our ability to perceive and distinguish between different wavelengths of light through our visual system. It is an important aspect of our vision that allows us to see and interpret the world around us in various hues and shades.

2. How does human sensitivity to color work?

Human sensitivity to color is possible because of specialized cells in our eyes called cone cells, which are responsible for detecting and responding to different wavelengths of light. These cone cells are located in the retina and are most sensitive to red, green, and blue light, which are the primary colors that make up the visible spectrum.

3. Why are humans sensitive to certain colors and not others?

The sensitivity of humans to certain colors is due to the different types of cone cells present in our eyes. Each cone cell contains a specific pigment that is most sensitive to a particular wavelength of light. For example, red cones are most sensitive to longer wavelengths of light, while blue cones are most sensitive to shorter wavelengths.

4. Can human sensitivity to color change over time?

Yes, human sensitivity to color can change over time due to various factors such as aging, eye diseases, and genetic mutations. As we age, the number of cone cells in our eyes may decrease, leading to a decrease in color sensitivity. In addition, certain eye diseases and genetic mutations can also affect our sensitivity to certain colors.

5. How does human sensitivity to color differ from other animals?

Human sensitivity to color is similar to other animals in that it relies on specialized cells in the eye to detect and respond to different wavelengths of light. However, some animals, such as birds and insects, have a wider range of color sensitivity than humans, allowing them to see ultraviolet light. On the other hand, some animals, such as dogs and cats, have limited color sensitivity and may only see shades of blue and yellow.