Confused about the boundary conditions on a conductor

In summary: I'm guessing the ## B_o ## is equivalent to your ## B_l ##.In summary, the textbook states that the boundary condition is V=0 at r=R. This leads to a correlation between B_l and A_l which states that B_l=-A_l R^{2l+1}. However, the potential at any boundary is continuous, so when we take this into account, we get a contradiction with the previous correlation. This may be due to ignoring the possibility of an l=0 solution and not properly labeling the coefficients A_l and B_l for both the inside and outside of the sphere. It is suggested to consult a different source for a more thorough explanation.
bubblewrap
In the textbook (attached image) it says that the boundary condition is V=0 at r=R.
This creates a correlation that

##B_l=-A_l R^{2l+1}##

but the potential at any boundary is continuous so when we take this account, we get.

##B_l=A_l R^{2l+1}##

These two clearly contradict each other. I'd like to know why this contradiction occurred.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20181029_013420.jpg
    20181029_013420.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaplacesEquationSphericalCoordinates.html
I think you are ignoring the possibility of an ## l=0 ## solution. ## \\ ## You then have a separate solution inside the sphere that says ## V=0 ##, that has both ## A ## and ## B =0 ##. ## \\ ## The coefficients of ## A ## and ## B ## inside the sphere are different from what they are outside. The potential ## V ## is continuous across the boundary, but that doesn't mean that each of ## A ## and ## B ## stay the same. ## \\ ## Your first equation is correct, but for this case (## r \geq R ##) you only have the ## l=0 ## term. I'm not sure how you came up with your second equation. ## \\ ## You really need to label the coefficients ## A_{l \, out} ##, ## B_{l \, out} ##, ## A_{l \, in} ##, and ## B_{l \, in} ##. ## \\ ## Edit: I looked at it a second time=I misread the problem. I thought ## V=0 ## everywhere at ## r=R ## . Let me try again... It would help if you could show us the previous page, because otherwise it is a guessing game of what we are trying to solve.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Does the textbook also tell us what A and B are ?

I can't really see, the picture is so vague :mad:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

How so ? can you elaborate ?

Since the term ##r^{l}## diverges as r>>R, it is not considered at r>R, similar logic was also applied for ##r^{-l-1}## for the case inside the sphere.

Since both terms should have the same value at r=R (since the potential is continuous at any boundary) the terms ##A_l R^{l}## and ##B_l R^{-l-1}## should have the same value, hence the correlation mentioned above.

However, if we consider the potential inside (and on the surface) of the potential to be 0 and we plug r=R into the original equation ##A_l R^{l}+B_l R^{-l-1}=0## the rest of the boundary condition would be the same, which means we would get two different answers for the boundary condition that doesn't seem to contradict each other.

Charles Link said:
See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaplacesEquationSphericalCoordinates.html
I think you are ignoring the possibility of an ## l=0 ## solution. ## \\ ## You then have a separate solution inside the sphere that says ## V=0 ##, that has both ## A ## and ## B =0 ##. ## \\ ## The coefficients of ## A ## and ## B ## inside the sphere are different from what they are outside. The potential ## V ## is continuous across the boundary, but that doesn't mean that each of ## A ## and ## B ## stay the same. ## \\ ## Your first equation is correct, but for this case (## r \geq R ##) you only have the ## l=0 ## term. I'm not sure how you came up with your second equation. ## \\ ## You really need to label the coefficients ## A_{l \, out} ##, ## B_{l \, out} ##, ## A_{l \, in} ##, and ## B_{l \, in} ##. ## \\ ## Edit: I looked at it a second time=I misread the problem. I thought ## V=0 ## everywhere at ## r=R ## . Let me try again... It would help if you could show us the previous page, because otherwise it is a guessing game of what we are trying to solve.

But in the textbook it said that there are no terms ## A_{l \, out} ## and ## B_{l \, in} ##, since they diverge at the points relevant to them.

bubblewrap said:
But in the textbook it said that there are no terms ## A_{l \, out} ## and ## B_{l \, in} ##, since they diverge at the points relevant to them.
I can believe that, but if I don't see the previous page, I don't know exactly what the problem consists of. ## \\ ## e.g. What is the constant ## C ##? I shouldn't need to guess what they are referring to.

Charles Link said:
I can believe that, but if I don't see the previous page, I don't know exactly what the problem consists of. ## \\ ## e.g. What is the constant ## C ##? I shouldn't need to guess what they are referring to.

The constant is from the equation

##V=-E_0 z+C## for ##r>>R##

And the question was for a uncharged metal sphere of radius R that was placed in a electric field ##E_0## (which was taken to be the direction of z), find the potential outside the metal sphere. (Since the induced charges inside the sphere ball would distort the field/potential around it)

You might want to try a different source and compare what they both get for the same problem. The other source may also have an improved explanation. Try https://nptel.ac.in/courses/115101005/downloads/lectures-doc/Lecture-16.pdf
At the top of page 2 he talks about ## B_o =0 ## unless there is a charge on the sphere, as he mentions in the last sentence at the bottom of page 2.

Last edited:

1. What are boundary conditions on a conductor?

Boundary conditions on a conductor refer to the set of conditions that must be satisfied at the interface between the conductor and its surroundings. These conditions dictate how the electric field and potential behave at the conductor's surface.

2. Why is it important to understand boundary conditions on a conductor?

Understanding boundary conditions is crucial in order to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of electric fields and currents in a conductor. This knowledge is essential in designing and optimizing electrical systems and devices.

3. What are the two types of boundary conditions on a conductor?

The two types of boundary conditions on a conductor are the electric boundary condition and the magnetic boundary condition. The electric boundary condition specifies the behavior of the electric field at the conductor's surface, while the magnetic boundary condition specifies the behavior of the magnetic field.

4. How do boundary conditions on a conductor affect the flow of electricity?

Boundary conditions on a conductor affect the flow of electricity by influencing the distribution of the electric field and potential along the surface of the conductor. This, in turn, affects the movement of charges and the resulting current flow.

5. Can boundary conditions on a conductor change?

Boundary conditions on a conductor are determined by the properties of the conductor and its surroundings, and therefore can change if these properties are altered. For example, if the shape or material of the conductor is changed, the boundary conditions will also change accordingly.