Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about vectors and transformations (linear)

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    when we are talking about a linear transformation the argument of the function is a coordinate vector...is this true?
    another question...when i see a column vector...these are the coordinates of the vector with respect of a basis...is this true? for example if i see....

[itex]
    (({{1},{3}}))^T
    [/itex]

with respect to a basis [itex] {a1,a2} [/itex]...that "column symbol" are the coordinates of this vector?:
    [itex] v=a1*1+a2*3 [/itex]
    ??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Abstractly, one can talk about a linear transformation as a function whose argument is a single symbol, such as [itex] T(X) [/itex] where [itex] X [/itex] is a vector. Linearity requirements such as [itex] T(\alpha X + Y) = \alpha T(X) + T(Y) [/itex] can be stated without reference to particular coordinates. (For example, in 2-D polar coordinates, the above requirement can be implemented by a coordinate operations that are different from an implementation in cartesian coordinate operations.)

I'd say yes.

When a vector is expressed in terms of a linear combination of a particular (finite) set of basis vectors then a customary way to represent a vector [itex] X [/itex] is as a column vector whose entries are the scalars in the linear combination. (So it is fair to call that representation a "coordinate representation", although it does not necessarily refer to coordinates Euclidean space.) Then a linear transformation [itex] T [/itex] amounts to left multiplying the column vector by a matrix of constants.

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    ok, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook