1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused, how many symbols can be represented by braille code? Combinations! wee

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone im' stuck on this problem.

It says:
    Each symbol in braille code is represened by a rectangular arrangement of six dots. Given that a least 1 dot of the 6 must be raised, how many symbols can be represented in brail?

I'm thinking I have to use combinations becuase the multipcation rule won't work..the combination formula is the following:

Choosing r items out of n,

n!/r!(n-r)!

So I can choose 6 symbols, but if at least one has to be raised, that means all 6 can be raised, so would i have 12 possibilites?

then i was thinking maybe the total possilbites of r items would be
    2^12 because the dot is either up or down.

So would the answer be 2^12 = 4096 symbols?

That seems way too big....
    so the other answer might be:

12!/2!(10)! = 66. that sounds more like it but i'm still not sure if its correct.

Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2
    I think i got it:

2^6 - 1 = 63 diffferent symobls

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    That looks good (the 2^6 - 1 = 63).

Another way to do it is the following: Partition the symbols by how many dots are raised up. We can have 1 dot raised up, of which there are 6 choose 1 possible symbols. We can have 2 dots raised up, of which there are 6 choose 2 symbols, and so on (up to 6 dots raised up). The sum of these yields 63 total possible symbols.

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4
    Ahh, i c, thanks for the responce, that is probably how they wanted me to figure out the solution because this chapter invovles conbinations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?