1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on directions, List the elements in the subsets?

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. There arn't any problems like this in this section, so i'm kind of lost on what they want. It says...

Let S = {a,b,c} and for each integer i = 0, 1, 2, 3 let [tex]S_i[/tex] be the set of all subsets of S that have i elements. List the elemnts in [tex]S_o,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]. Is {[tex]S_0,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]} a partion of P(S).
    P(S) stands for power sets.

S_0 = {a_0,b_0,c_0}
    S_1 = {a_1,b_1,c_1}

or what are they saying exactly?

Isn't S_0 through 3 going to have the exact same elements just {a,b,c} all the time? I dont see how changing the subscript on S is changing the elements or the number of elements.

I have no idea what they want, The only thing i saw in the book was the folllowing:
    THe number of subsets of a set.

THe following theorem states the important fact that if a set has n elements, then its power set has 2^n elements.
    Suppose X is a set and z is an elemen tof X.

If X = {x,y,z}, the following table shows the correspondence between subsets of X that do not contain z and subsets of X that contain Z.

The table shows subset so X that do not contain z (X- {z} )

Subsets of X that contain z
    NULL union {z} = {z}
    {x} union {z} = {x,z}
    {y} union {z} = {y,z}
    {x,y} union {z} = {x,y,z}

But i don't see how this relates to my probem at all.

Any help would be great
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

For example, for i = 2, S2 = {{a,b}, {b, c}, {a, c}}.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the responce but thats what confusees me, i know what a power set is, like if you find
    P({x,y}) = {NULL, {x},{y}, {x,y}}

Are you taking the power set of S? in ur example?
    or how did u get {{a,b},{b,c},{a,c}} if that was a power set, isn't it suppose to be 2^n, so if i = 2, wouldn't u have 4 sets in there?

When they say list the elments in S0 - S3, do they mean take the power set of S0 - S3? and if thats the case, how does the subscript affect whats in S = {a,b,c}?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?