Confused on next step in finding instantaneous velocity

In summary: I have no idea what you did on your calculator.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average velocity and estimating the instantaneous velocity of a particle at time t=1 using a given equation. The average velocity is calculated by finding the distance traveled divided by the elapsed time, and the instantaneous velocity is estimated by using different values of h in the equation. The correct values for the average velocities are 6.3 m/s, 6.03 m/s, and 6 m/s for h=0.1, h=0.01, and h=0.001 respectively.
neutron star

Homework Statement

In a time of t seconds, a particle moves a distance of s meters from its starting point, where s=3t[tex]^2[/tex]+13.

Find the average velocity between t=1 and t=1+h if
(i) h=0.1 (ii) h=0.01 (iii) h=0.001

Use the obtained answers to estimate the instantaneous velocity of the particle at time t=1.

The average velocity between t=1 and t=1+h
(i) when h=0.1 is ____ m/s;
(ii) when h=0.01 is ____ m/s;
(iii) when h=0.001 is ____ m/s.

The instantaneous velocity appears to be ______ m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

h=0.1 3(0.1)[tex]^2[/tex]+13=13.03
h=0.01 3(0.01)[tex]^2[/tex]+13=13.0003
h=0.001 3(0.001)[tex]^2[/tex]+13=13

What am I supposed to do next in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd better back up and rethink the first part. The average speed between t=1 and t=1+h is s(1+h)-s(1) divided by the elapsed time (h). It's just distance divided by time.

Dick said:
You'd better back up and rethink the first part. The average speed between t=1 and t=1+h is s(1+h)-s(1) divided by the elapsed time (h). It's just distance divided by time.

If I do s(1+0.1)-s(1)/0.1 that gives me s(0.1)/0.1

I don't get it. How does that work?

neutron star said:
If I do s(1+0.1)-s(1)/0.1 that gives me s(0.1)/0.1

I don't get it. How does that work?

Nooo. s(1+0.01)-s(1) is NOT s(0.01). s(1+0.01)-s(1)=(3*(1.01)^2+13)-(3*1^2+13). That's not the same as (3*(0.01)^2+13). Check the two expressions using your calculator!

Last edited:
I got s(0.1)=0.63, s(0.01)=0.0603, and s(0.001) was too small a number it appeared 0. I don't get how this gets the instantaneous velocity. Do you multiply by 10 and 100 and 1000.. etc..?

neutron star said:
I got s(0.1)=0.63, s(0.01)=0.0603, and s(0.001) was too small a number it appeared 0. I don't get how this gets the instantaneous velocity. Do you multiply by 10 and 100 and 1000.. etc..?

The average speed from t=1 to t=1.1 (h=0.1) is (s(1.1)-s(1))/(0.1)=((3*(1.1)^2+13)-(3*1^2+13))/0.1. That is 6.3 by my reckoning. Can you do the other ones, please? There is no reason to compute s(0.1), and even if there were you wouldn't get 0.63. 1.001 isn't so small that 1.001^2 should round off to 1.

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It is the velocity of an object at a particular instant, rather than an average velocity over an interval of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment, while average velocity is the overall displacement divided by the total time elapsed. Average velocity gives a general idea of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides more detailed information about an object's motion at a specific point in time.

3. How do I calculate instantaneous velocity?

To calculate instantaneous velocity, you need to know the object's position at two points in time, and the time elapsed between those two points. You can then use the formula: instantaneous velocity = change in position / change in time. This will give you the object's velocity at that specific moment.

4. What is the importance of understanding instantaneous velocity?

Understanding instantaneous velocity is crucial in understanding an object's motion. It allows us to analyze the object's velocity and acceleration at any given moment, which can help in predicting its future motion and determining the forces acting on it.

5. How can I use instantaneous velocity in real-life situations?

Instantaneous velocity is used in many real-life situations, such as in sports, traffic engineering, and physics experiments. For example, in sports, coaches and athletes can use instantaneous velocity to analyze an athlete's performance and make improvements. In traffic engineering, understanding instantaneous velocity can help in designing safer roads and intersections. In physics experiments, it is used to analyze the motion of objects and determine the forces acting on them.