Confused - simple differentiation with simplification

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of the equation y=x(x+2)(x+3). The given answer in the book is 2x+5, but it is incorrect as the x at the beginning of the brackets should result in a quadratic expression. A helpful online tool is suggested for double checking answers.
chuffy

Homework Statement

differentiate the following
y= x(x+2)(x+3)

Homework Equations

dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I'm given is dy/dx = 2x+5
Would this not be for (x+2)(x+3) = x2 +5x +6
dy/dx = 2x +5 +0

My problem is the x at the beginning of the brackets. Please help!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the equation out and then differentiate, that answer given by the book doesn't seem right.

chuffy said:

Homework Statement

differentiate the following
y= x(x+2)(x+3)

Homework Equations

dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I'm given is dy/dx = 2x+5
Would this not be for (x+2)(x+3) = x2 +5x +6
dy/dx = 2x +5 +0

My problem is the x at the beginning of the brackets. Please help!
thanks

You're right. With the x at the beginning, the final answer is a quadratic expression.

Er...I think I agree actually. Once you multiply through by x, you get x^3 + 5x^2 + 6x.

The derivative of that is not what was given in the answer.

cheers guys I'm going nuts the question states x(x+2)(x+3)
with the answer of 2x+5

thanks for the above link

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions.

2. How is differentiation used in science?

Differentiation is used in science to model and understand the behavior of physical systems. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology for analyzing rates of change, growth, and decay.

3. What is the difference between simple differentiation and simplification?

Simple differentiation refers to the process of finding the derivative of a function, while simplification involves reducing a complex expression into a simpler form. In simple differentiation, the goal is to find the instantaneous rate of change, while simplification aims to make a problem easier to solve.

4. Can you give an example of "confused - simple differentiation with simplification"?

One example of "confused - simple differentiation with simplification" could be a situation where a student is trying to find the derivative of a complex function, but they mistakenly simplify the expression before differentiating it. This can lead to incorrect results and confusion.

5. What are some common mistakes when using "confused - simple differentiation with simplification"?

Some common mistakes when using "confused - simple differentiation with simplification" include forgetting to use the proper differentiation rules, simplifying the expression too early, and not carefully checking the final answer for accuracy. It is important to have a strong understanding of both differentiation and simplification in order to avoid these mistakes.