1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused why he took B.Tech. instead of B.Sc.

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    I am from a country named India. The most prestigious college entrance exam in this country is IIT-JEE. An Indian boy named Shitikanth was the topper of this examination and also he got 18th rank at IPhO 2008.

He always wanted to do research in Physics but after entering IITs (Indian Institute of Technology), he took B.Tech. instead of B.Sc.

I want to know why he did that. Are the syllabus of both of them similar? Is there any way we can do research in Physics after doing B.Tech.?

Please I really wanna know this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago. The poster said that B.Tech was more
    "prestigious." He didn't know which path to take (B.Tech or B.Sc), because he wanted to study physics in graduate school, but felt the physics programs weren't as rigorous or reputable as the B.Tech program.

There is a professor Shankar at Yale that received his B.Tech and then earned his PhD in theoretical physics. He has an online course "fundamentals of physics" and a fairly well-known textbook on quantum physics.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Can I know what reply did that poster of that thread got from the other members?

Another thing, is the syllabus same?

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    Someone from India said that he wanted to study Physics in graduate school but was in a B.Tech program because he felt the undergraduate physics programs weren't as prestigious.

I'm not from there, so I don't know anything more than what was implied in the thread....that B.Sc. programs were academically inferior to the B.Tech programs, and if you wanted academic competition and top level education, you were better off in the B.Tech.

I have no personal experience in the matter.

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    Please, if you clear my doubt. I am damn sure that he was Shitikanth. Did he get any replies from other members? If you do remember them, then please tell any reply that he got.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook