WHETHER TO DO A RESEARCH IN PHySICS OR SHOULD I OPT FOR ENGINEERING

In summary: Dan's future career options. Dan is interested in Physics and wants to pursue Physics Honours and do research in string theory and subatomic particles. However, his parents are concerned about the limited job opportunities for Physics research in India and are pressuring him to pursue engineering instead. Dan is now seeking advice on what he can do to while staying in India, such as whether he can do research after engineering or pursue a Master's degree. He also wants to know about the scope of research in particle physics in India. In summary, Dan is facing a dilemma between his passion for Physics and the practical considerations of job opportunities and is seeking advice on how to navigate his career path in India.
garvit.arora
Presently i am in class 11th...and recently i have done my boards exam and i hope to get good marks specially in physics...now..as only two years are left for my entrance exams i am fully confused :confused:. I was always interested in Physics and so I left myself only two options- Physics Honours(research) or Engineering. When I was in high school,I did a few extra things in physics,like relativity and much more and now I fear that I might have to miss out all these wonderful aspects of Physics if I continue with Engineering.

So,deep inside,I want to do Physics Honours and do some kind of research. I always want to become particle physicist because i love all these things...i want to do research mainly in string theory, subatomic particles etc.But my parents said I might have to struggle very hard to establish myself if I took up Physics Honours...and as i am livind in India there is very little scope for any kind of job...in India there are only two good orginisations for any kind of research in physics and they are also government agencies , so their salary scales are not so good...therefore i do not want to stay in india, i want to go abroad,do a Ph.D. in physics and then settle there to continue my research...so now they are more or less forcing me to take up engineering.

Can anybody give me any idea of what I could do to while staying in india...like can i do any kind of research after i have done my engineering...or can i do M.sc after i have done my M.tech...and what are the scopes in research in particle physics in india...pls tell me ...really confused :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't close doors.

There are many different kinds of engineering. My PhD supervisor did an engineering bachelor degree in an area called "engineering science." Then he did his PhD in physics, and now does research in gravity and particle physics. Depending on what kind of physics you want to do, and what kind of engineering you do, you can make some transitions.

Many undergrad degrees have a lot of overlap. Nearly any science or engineering degree is going to push you along in calculus. I took thermal hydraulics from the engineering department, then put it to use in my honors project studying (very simplified) star interiors. You can learn algebra in the math department, the physics dept., or the engineering dept.

If you did chemical engineering it would probably be harder to move over to a particle physics PhD. But if you did an engineering degree with tons of math and theory and so on, it might not be that hard.

In the other direction, a physics degree is pretty good in industry as well. You can learn how to make a computer model of a complicated physical system in the physics department, and then you can sell that skill in many different industrial applications. It's quite rare for a physicist to be unemployed.

Look at the universities, both in India and in other countries, that you might like to attend. Look on the web, use Google. Find their physics and engineering departments and send them email asking about admissions requirements and possible scholarships and so on. Find out what sorts of degree programs and specialty areas they have. Get their list of courses for each degree you might be interested in. Hopefully one or two will stand out as the place you want to go.
Dan

1. What is the main difference between a research in physics and engineering?

The main difference between a research in physics and engineering is the focus of study. Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while engineering is an applied science that uses scientific principles to design, develop, and build structures, machines, and devices to solve practical problems.

2. Which field offers better career opportunities, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering offer great career opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your personal interests and skills. Physics research can lead to careers in academia, government, and industry, while engineering research can lead to careers in various fields such as aerospace, biomedical, chemical, and electrical engineering.

3. Is it possible to combine physics and engineering in a research project?

Yes, it is possible to combine physics and engineering in a research project. In fact, many research projects in both fields require collaboration and integration of knowledge from both disciplines. This can lead to innovative solutions and breakthroughs in various fields.

4. Which field requires more math and technical skills, physics or engineering?

Both fields require a strong foundation in math and technical skills. However, physics research tends to focus more on theoretical concepts and mathematical models, while engineering research involves more practical applications and hands-on work with technology and equipment.

5. What factors should I consider when deciding between a research in physics or engineering?

Some factors to consider when deciding between a research in physics or engineering include your interests, skills, career goals, and the type of research you would like to do. It can also be helpful to talk to professionals in both fields and explore the different opportunities available in each field.