Confusion about how the momentum is transferred

In summary, the student is thinking of a way to reduce the velocity of a satellite using momentum transfer. The professor dismissed the idea after listening to it for 10 seconds, explaining that it is a impractical system.
alditi
I'm thinking of non pyrotechnic ways to make changes in the velocity of a satellite in space and my concepts here might be totally wrong, but i wondered if transfer of momentum might work.
That is, as in the first image if i have a small mass compressed by a spring and i release it later by some mechanism so it springs away from the satellite, will i succeed in reducing the speed of the satellite? i know i might affect the moment of inertia of the satellite but what could the effects be if i have magnetotorquers to stabilize my satellite.
My professor dismissed it after ten seconds of listening to it and didn't explain why.

also, I read about the inter satellite separation mechanism the canX 4/5 used and i might not have understood the working fully but this is what i think they have done to separate the satellite.
They used an electrical debonding epoxy sold as ElectRelease to hold two plungers (one whose tip is a cone and the other whose tip is a cup. When current is passed the bond breaks and the belleville springs decompress and pull the plungers away from each other till it hits against the base plate shown by aluminum. you'll notice in the last picture of the second image there's a millimeter gap between the plunger and the aluminum base; this is the mechanism when it is loaded with the epoxy. when it gets debonded the springs expand and the plunger jumps back. the aluminum base is connected to the satellite face by the four screws and the belleville springs and the plates shown in red (called push plates) all sit inside the satellite(the link: https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/31620/1/Urbanek_Jakub_201111_MASc_thesis.pdf it's explained properly here)
my question is, in this mechanism, are the satellites going to move away from each other with however small a relative velocity? (taking a ideal case neglecting effects of drifts) or will the satellites just separate and stay there?

Attachments

• Untitledtemp.png
    Untitledtemp.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 489
  • ISS.jpg
    ISS.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
will i succeed in reducing the speed of the satellite?
If you emit the ball in forward direction, yes. However, what is the advantage of this mechanical system? There are conventional systems which have a better thrust to mass ratio (rockets, or if the system should be really small just compressed gas), and if you have enough time an ion drive is even better.

If you separate two satellites with a "kick", they will continue to drift away. Their different orbits will change their relative movement within the timescale of the orbital period.

Thanks, you're right there are much more practical systems.
It's a small system and we were just discussing ideas. They wanted something original, something that hadn't been done before so i suggested this. and the prof made me feel the physics might be wrong.
In the ISS system i wasn't sure if this mechanism causes them to move away at all. the plunger is thrust inwards so i think if anything they should move towards each other...?

1. What is momentum and how is it transferred?

Momentum is the measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is transferred when an object collides with another object, resulting in a change in either or both objects' velocities.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum of all objects involved in a collision is equal to the final momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. Can momentum be transferred without a collision?

Yes, momentum can also be transferred through action at a distance, such as in the case of gravitational or magnetic forces. However, in order for the momentum to be transferred, there must be an interaction between the two objects.

4. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the transfer of momentum?

The momentum transferred between objects depends on both the mass and velocity of the objects involved. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater transfer of momentum during a collision.

5. What are some real-world examples of momentum transfer?

Some common examples of momentum transfer include a moving car colliding with a stationary object, a ball being thrown and caught, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these situations, momentum is transferred from one object to another.